The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My knife guards are all wore out on my 973 30 foot grain head.
This will be the 3rd set since we bought it. Just running the original type
with the fine cut knives. I cut wheat and soys with it. I would like to try something different on it and was considering a Scumacher due to the
ability to flip the guards over and cut a little lower. The 1995 model tx68 has no adjustable face plate on the feeder house. Our cuts a little high now which is great for keeping the stones out but some varieties need to be cut lower to get it all. I would like to be able to travel a little faster across the bean fields. 4.5 to five miles per hour is the max with the original type then it starts pushing the plants over.
Questions
Any one try this and did it work good.
Fine cut or course cut knives.
Rollers or wear plates for the knife guides.
Is there any problem where the knives overlap in the center on this double drive head.
If it came in a kit did it have everything needed to install.
Does the original knife head work or is a SCH one needed.
Do they last as long as the original guards.
I break 2 or 3 knife sections per year and I may have broke 2 guards since the machine was new.

Schumacher Cutterbars | My Easy Cut
thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
My knife guards are all wore out on my 973 30 foot grain head.
This will be the 3rd set since we bought it. Just running the original type
with the fine cut knives. I cut wheat and soys with it. I would like to try something different on it and was considering a Scumacher due to the
ability to flip the guards over and cut a little lower. The 1995 model tx68 has no adjustable face plate on the feeder house. Our cuts a little high now which is great for keeping the stones out but some varieties need to be cut lower to get it all. I would like to be able to travel a little faster across the bean fields. 4.5 to five miles per hour is the max with the original type then it starts pushing the plants over.
Questions
Any one try this and did it work good.
Fine cut or course cut knives.
Rollers or wear plates for the knife guides.
Is there any problem where the knives overlap in the center on this double drive head.
If it came in a kit did it have everything needed to install.
Does the original knife head work or is a SCH one needed.
Do they last as long as the original guards.
I break 2 or 3 knife sections per year and I may have broke 2 guards since the machine was new.

Schumacher Cutterbars | My Easy Cut
thanks
I am on my 2nd 973 with the SCH sickle on it. Both 20' heads on a TR86. This one is a double drive and my first had only 1 wobble box, and you do need to use the SCH knife head. I have roller guides on this one with coarse cut knives. The kits are complete with extra bolts. No problem where they overlap in the center, even in drilled or 7" spacing soybeans. I have never replaced a guard from wear, just if one gets bent from a rock or something. Max speed is about 4.5 depending on conditions. The combine will take the soybeans as fast as the header will cut them.
I wouldn't use any other setup after having one. My first 972 had a Crary Golden Cut on it and it did OK, just had to watch the clips that held the sickle down. The SCH doesn't have them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
@dragon71 and @tx68, I just saw this post and thought of getting more details on how the conversion was done. I have a 30' 973 as well that I plan to convert to SCH system. Do i have to change all the way to the knife drive or just until the knife head? Appreciate your thoughts on how you did yours.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sch conversion on a 973 head did not work as well as I hoped it would. I purchased it because I read that you could mount it upside down and get a closer cut to the ground. When I got the kit I saw that with the parts supplied there was no way to make it work with everything turned over so I mounted it the normal way
hoping that it would work like that.
Everything went together ok following the instructions.
The new knife head end lined up properly with the NH wobble box.
In wheat it cut normally as good as the original setup.
Off course anything will cut wheat well.
In beans the results were not so good. Tall beans were not cutting quite as well as the old knife.It was leaving the odd bean plant behind the machine and could not travel any faster than the old knife.
In short beans it was missing a lot. The beans seemed to be pushed over no matter the forward speed.
The cutting height is also higher than the original knife which was also to high. There is no way to tip the knife down more on my machine.
I am going to run it another year if I can find out how to make it work better. I may need to change the knife speed and find out if there are different parts to make the system work inverted. I may not get a chance to make any alterations on the knife until after wheat harvest.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured out how to mount the SCH knife system inverted and I have just finished 300 acres of soybeans with it.
I must say it works awesome. It is now exactly where it should be and cuts everything off very close to the ground. After 20 years of working with this head it finally cuts like it should.
The only thing I had to buy extra was 4 shims to put under the stock NH wobble box.
The knife ends hold the knife from the bottom and top.
I cut off the shorter leg on them because they were hitting the dividers where they bolt to the bottom of the outside knife guards.
So basically just mount everything upside down from what the instructions say. The rollers are all under the guards now which may shorten their life but it solved a problem I was having with weeds getting caught in roller brackets where they then folded around and lay facing the auger and causing soy plants to catch on them and bunch up.
One little downside is the rocktrap caught 3 rocks tonight. It has been years since I picked up a rock because the old knife system was high enough to just bounce over them.
One more thing is some of the plastic poly sheets on the skid plates were touching the rollers and I had to grind a little bit of plastic away so the roller would turn freely.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
So was the knife just not close enough to the ground before or do they somehow cut better being upside down? And the rollers on rear of the knife are on the bottom, how does that not just fill up with dirt?

I love it when guys come back and update stuff like this, pictures would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original NH knife cut about 2 inches off the ground which was not good enough when doing short soybeans with alot of pods down low on the plant.
The sch knife when installed as per instructions cut about an inch higher than the original nh.
With the sch knife installed inverted it cut an inch lower than the original NH knife.
The rollers may be a problem and I will change them to the older sch style that uses rub plates instead of rollers.
I checked them tonight and after 400 acres they are all still ok. The guard sort of protects them from constant contact with the ground and the heads own skid plates also protect them a bit.
Never found any stones in the stone trap this morning but there was a small piece of deer scull and a bit of
spine. Usually smaller stones like tennis ball and smaller
pass right through and don't hurt anything.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I figured out how to mount the SCH knife system inverted and I have just finished 300 acres of soybeans with it.
I must say it works awesome. It is now exactly where it should be and cuts everything off very close to the ground. After 20 years of working with this head it finally cuts like it should.
The only thing I had to buy extra was 4 shims to put under the stock NH wobble box.
The knife ends hold the knife from the bottom and top.
I cut off the shorter leg on them because they were hitting the dividers where they bolt to the bottom of the outside knife guards.
So basically just mount everything upside down from what the instructions say. The rollers are all under the guards now which may shorten their life but it solved a problem I was having with weeds getting caught in roller brackets where they then folded around and lay facing the auger and causing soy plants to catch on them and bunch up.
One little downside is the rocktrap caught 3 rocks tonight. It has been years since I picked up a rock because the old knife system was high enough to just bounce over them.
One more thing is some of the plastic poly sheets on the skid plates were touching the rollers and I had to grind a little bit of plastic away so the roller would turn freely.
Would you happen to know if this inversion can be done to a Honey Bee head with SCH knife system and hydraulic drive? I am not close to my header right now to look things over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.