The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
shoulda just left it burning for 10-15 minutes before trying to put it out...their NEVER the same after a fire.

goodluck, hopefully insurance considers it a full loss and gives ya a nice check for another one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I quit harvesting at 2:30 that day, it caught fire around 7:30 that night. It was 109 degrees that day. Everything was going OK. I still have close to 500 acres left to cut. I gave it to another custom guy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Far out, Headers are deadly like that...they can be powderkegs waiting to happen.

What was the model of it? 9600? 9610? 9500?

And yes I know I just called a combine a header. I know what you guys call headers..

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Gee, that looks bad, but don't throw in the towel just yet. After all, the fire was rather contained to just the cab.
Check out the sheet metal surrounding the cab. Yes, the paint has been burned off in spots, but what you're looking for, is warpage. If the thin skin of the combine is not buckled, then you know the heavier metal is okay.

Next comes the part of removing the old cab ass'y and all the burned harnesses, etc. Also, the "brain" of the machine is most likely fried--it got too hot. Get all new PCB, chips, etc, too.

A very good outsource is www.mikesequipment.com

Good luck with the probability of saving the 9600.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm guessing there's more to it than just the cab once you start tearing into it. Like ebert said hopefully insurance calls it a total loss. By the time you start working on it, there may be a lot more of a headache there in time, money, and so on than a guy would want to deal with.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Connor, I know what you're saying, and I do not disagree--as long as the damage IS deeper than just the cab issue. That's one reason, I suggested to check something so mundane as the combine's rather fragile skin. If that shows no physical damage [cosmetic does not count], then logic dictates it's a reasonal barometer to guage by, probing deeper to assess the feasibility of whether or not to repair, salvage, part out, put down, etc.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The combine appears to be leaning to the left due to a tire that got hot enough to blow out so I'd say it'll be totalled out. I'd estimate the cost of repair to be in excess of 70% of total value.
I'd say the cause was electrical and it's ironic how many of these 9000 series fires start behind the cab. I've even heard of improper grounding causing a fire. my .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks combiness, They have what I need. And it will give me a excuse to travel to the midwest. Maybe, when I go to CO this fall.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
You're welcome, Gmsmith. I really have hope for this combine's full recovery, if the damage is no more than I can theorize, without being able to probe deeper or even have pics of the sise/angle views.

Yes, I agree a really hot fire can maim and cripple a combine for life--and that is not good. Just as well put it down, but I also know way too many machines come out of fires like a cab or engine-only one, with no significant damage to the separator or other working parts.
As much as I agree with Connor's initial response, I can still just see that schneidly gleam in his eyes, too, thinking......and pondering....."Ahah, just one less Deere bine in the world! Wooohaaahhh!!!"

·
Registered
262 Posts
cliffcutter
I have seen a few fires start behind the cab on these machines. Usually it is caused by a bad bearing on the primary countershaft or the gearbox. Chaff and debris does build up back there and should be cleaned out periodically.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
One less Deere, Hmmm never looked at it that way. Good thinking though. I would've given that response with any brand of combine. With a fire like that there's always more to it than meets the eye. I'm sure it ruined the belts and hoses down around the feederhouse and maybe even further back along the side behind the cab by the wheels. Not to mention bearings, pulleys, sprockets... I'm sure it put a hurting on those. As well as the tires. Heat alone from fires like that can do a lot of widespread damage beyond just the reach of the flames.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts