The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a second combine as we seem to struggle during the harvest seasons with our 9500. I'm thinking this combine will only get used 60-70% of the time due to man power issues so I did not want to spend a ton of money on one. One is a 6620 T2 that comes with a 915 head and has around 4000 hrs on it. Pictures appear to be in good shape, no pictures of the head though. It also does not have a chopper or spreader. Other one is a 7720 Turbo(has yellow cab lid if that makes a difference) with no head and 3500 hrs. It may have 4wd also. Looks to be in good shape but not as nice as the 6620. I will only be doing wheat and soybeans. Any recommendations you guys would have? Am I just looking at big headaches?

·
Registered
459 Posts
am not familiar with the deeres , but were also limited on manpower , have you thought about trading up to one larger unit , we went from two massey 860s , to one larger unit and couldnt be happier , hopper size matches trucks , makes life more simple too , and harvest goes a lot more efficiant

·
Registered
633 Posts
we have a 7720 yellow roof . to my knowledge they are just a bit older than the green roofs. they handle 24 ft fronts with ease even on steep country. in crops less than a ton to the acre it is full speed in 3rd . ( 4 speed box )
highly recommend the 7720 a good simple machine easy to fix not to electrical .
The 8820 is a foot wider if you don't travel small roads a great choice.
But I do agree one machine and one lot of maintenance one driver is the smarter choice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The yellow roof cab is older than a green cab. The green cabs were called Titan II's. There were a few things they upgraded in the Titan II's, I think concaves was one of them. Most of the time if you had to replace anything on the older ones, the new one was the Titan II version.

I used to run a 6620 sh and went to a 9500 sh. Lot of difference in the cab and control layouts. I would find it hard to run one machine and then the other. A 7720 would be closer in capacity than the 6620 to the 9500 combine you have.

I would rather have two 9500 combines than one older 20 series and a 9500. Other option would be to go to the bigger 9600, or even 9750. If you could afford it, I would go up to a 9670 or 9770. The 50 series had quite a few changes again, not so many 60 series out there, and the 70 series seems to have most of the bugs out of them.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i think the 7720 or 8820 would be a good choice.lots of 20-30 ft headers out there. It would be cheaper than upgrading 60-70% bigger machine. The cab layout and sitting next to the engine are the only drawbacks to the 20s.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depending on what your problem is you might want to think about a grain cart if you don't already have one. When we got our grain cart it seemed to speed up our harvest close to as much as you are talking. With that being said we run in a lot of corn and I think the grain cart does more good in higher yielding crops. I have tried having two combines and it did not work to good for me, but the grain cart did.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Since your familiar with deere's either would be a good choice but a 15' head is a bit small for the 6620TII, IMO. I'd check the wear on each combine and compare them. Examine the belts, major bearings such as primary counter shaft, augers and tires. If it just comes down to the paint jobs and interior, I'd choose the 7720 hands down, especially if its RWA. In good beans a 922 flex head is your best option for a 7720. If the rasp bars are good and you can keep the header full, that combine will do you a great job. The 6620TII will handle an 18'-20' header good. Around here the TII's were kind of shyed away from because although better than the original Titans, some parts such as seives and chaffer were hard to find in salvage yards.
I'm not sure your budget but I'd probably do as others have suggested and buy another 9500 or 9600. You could also do as I did, and switch from a 9500 to a caseih 2188. Switching from the 9500 was the best thing I ever did as far as harvesting is concerned. Now if I can just get rid of my old 7720 that I use along side my 2188.

·
Registered
869 Posts
7720 would be pretty close to the 9500 in capacity. We put 4900 hrs on a 7720 with no major breakdowns. We had a 9600 and 7720 beside each other for years and we were always surprised at how close they were in capacity.

Definitely a huge step up in comfort running the 9600 over the 7720.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.