The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a paper on sectional control and an area that I have little information about is the earlier history of section control. I can't seem to find anything on when it was first introduced and by who on sprayers or nh3 equipment. Anybody have any knowledge on the subject?

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Great topic for a paper!

I can't even think of the ah ha moment where I first heard of even sprayer sectional control.
What have sprayers had it available for, 15 years now?

I suggest you contact various sprayer manufacturers and rate controller people.
I'll give you a lead on who could easily be overlooked yet they are the king of section control on sprayers:
Capstan Ag, Inc

Once your paper is completed could you post or provide a link to read it? It will be fascinating reading!

Good luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Guess it's not as long ago as I thought then.
I do remember thinking, wait a minute, this is much better if you're spraying something at 5$. What about the seeding unit where you could be spending 150$!
Bet that's more difficult.
Yep.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
I'd say almost ten years ago for auto sectional control on Nh3, had it on three different airseeders already. We had sectional control the first year JD had their rate controller available. They didn't support it at that time for multiple sections, just for your main on and off but we had it working on a 5 section Nh3 system on our airseeder that first year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wasn't there a system out of australia that was first, zynx, or lynx.
Yes it was from Kee Technologies now owned by Topcon. Had one of the first X20's back in 2005 I believe it was and had sectional control on it but I know the X15 offered it too and possibly the X10 prior to that. I know when we first had it, it took some explaining before people realized what it did and they questioned how beneficial it was but once Deere came out with Swath Control Pro it was easy to explain and you could not go without it.

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
The old sprayer my old man used to pull had a manual lever that when you reached back from the seat in an open cab tractor could select between 3 sections. Back when men were men. Pretty cushy now.
Had those exact thoughts when bud mentioned the Valmar split roller.
Course, back then dragged a tire as a marker.
Canola not invented yet, no rapeseed.
Field folding an arduous, manual procedure.
Had to align nozzles yourself.
No anti drip check balls.
Forever fixing something on sprayer!

Ah.
Those were the days!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know selectro made shutoffs for old cih cyclo planters at least in the early ninety's. I thought I was able to dig around on the Internet to find more about the history of them. I'm not sure of you were speaking of spraying/fert setups or automatic only but selectro was the first I could think of.
Best of luck with your research.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Triple s engineering inc out of Griswald iowa received a patent in August of 1993 for row shutoffs for said planters. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the two companies but I'm sure you could find out more with some digging.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded. It's hard to believe it's been 8-9 years since automatic came out. I should have been more specific in my earlier post. I am writing about both manual and auto. I am also answering the questions or trying to the questions of where the technology came from, and it's movement from the idea to being commercially available, etc. I had earlier suspicions that the pull type sprayers of the 90's and possibly the 80's had the early forms of a 2-3 boom shut-offs. Found some receivers/displays from the early 80's on pami that had the switches for sectional control, but not quite sure if the technology was there yet.
If you know anything about boom controls on the early or sprayers or early forms of the technology, feel free to comment. It's amazing the lack of information about the subject prior to 2005. I think the next thing is to contact companies such as raven or valmar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.