The Combine Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I were to buy 1 machine to clean my own seed, what should it be? I want to save some of my own seed (not clean it to certified specs).

I'm looking for reasonable price, and easy to run/set. It would have to work for wheat, peas, lentils, barley, oats (listed in order of importance to me).

A rotary cleaner looks simple, cheap, and works for multiple crops. Would that be a good place to start?

Thanks for your guys insight.

BB

Bigblue..if interested in a mobile machine I can hook you up with a good one...superior CG7 indent and Crippen 5472 mounted on trailer with truck and 40 KW genset...my contact info is on website...no pict of discribed cleaner on it yet...just in process of making look pretty. www.triplegseed.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pulling up an old thread here however, we looked at the GCS grain cleaner at Ag Days and am wondering if that machine with their scalper unit would be able to clean seed well enough for seeding? Peas and soybeans likely could be done but what about wheat, barley and oats? Anybody have any experience with these? I realize they are a good machine for removing fusarium and vomitoxin and I am just wondering if a simple system like that is capable of cleaning for seed?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
For our on farm cleaning we have a Gesdal 5 in 1 inline with a 4-10 gravity table, set up and automated with scales on bins to give us cleaning rates. Set it up 20 years ago and wouldn't be with out it now that we've had our own cleaning plant. We basically only clean seed with it but in some circumstances we use it it upgrade crops.
If I was to look for only a one machine to clean seed on form the 5 in 1 is a good product.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pulling up an old thread here however, we looked at the GCS grain cleaner at Ag Days and am wondering if that machine with their scalper unit would be able to clean seed well enough for seeding? Peas and soybeans likely could be done but what about wheat, barley and oats? Anybody have any experience with these? I realize they are a good machine for removing fusarium and vomitoxin and I am just wondering if a simple system like that is capable of cleaning for seed?
Did you happen to get any prices on the GCS machines?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good job
Big capacity
Low cost

In the cleaning world, you can only pick two of the three above phrases. Although lots of cleaning equipment uses air, relying solely on it is not a great idea. A poor cleaning job will cause issues such as bridging in oats.

You'd be better off with a gjesdal or your own custom cleaning setup with a scalper, grader, indents, air screen, etc.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For our on farm cleaning we have a Gesdal 5 in 1 inline with a 4-10 gravity table, set up and automated with scales on bins to give us cleaning rates. Set it up 20 years ago and wouldn't be with out it now that we've had our own cleaning plant. We basically only clean seed with it but in some circumstances we use it it upgrade crops.
If I was to look for only a one machine to clean seed on form the 5 in 1 is a good product.
Curious if the Gjesdal’s capacity was increased over the years? My grandpa bought one off Harvey Gjesdal himself in the early 80’s. One of the enduring memories my siblings and I have of our grandpa is him sitting watching the grain trickle out of the 5 in 1 for a couple weeks every spring, making little adjustments, feeding the dog treats. I am proud to say he passed down the job and knowledge to me, but we haven’t pulled old Harvey out for a few years cause 35bu/hr just wasn’t cutting it any more and didn’t trust it to get the fuz out of durum.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Curious if the Gjesdal’s capacity was increased over the years? My grandpa bought one off Harvey Gjesdal himself in the early 80’s. One of the enduring memories my siblings and I have of our grandpa is him sitting watching the grain trickle out of the 5 in 1 for a couple weeks every spring, making little adjustments, feeding the dog treats. I am proud to say he passed down the job and knowledge to me, but we haven’t pulled old Harvey out for a few years cause 35bu/hr just wasn’t cutting it any more and didn’t trust it to get the fuz out of durum.
I can't remember the model number of the Gjesdal we have but the combination of the 5 in 1 and gravity table will clean about 130 bus/hr of wheat, lentils to God seed standards. Gravity really helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I were to buy 1 machine to clean my own seed, what should it be? I want to save some of my own seed (not clean it to certified specs).

I'm looking for reasonable price, and easy to run/set. It would have to work for wheat, peas, lentils, barley, oats (listed in order of importance to me).

A rotary cleaner looks simple, cheap, and works for multiple crops. Would that be a good place to start?

Thanks for your guys insight.

BB
do you know julite?
see my pic,you would like us
my email:[email protected]

21 - 30 of 30 Posts