The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That's pretty sweet. What's with the nine and ten row corn heads? Also, why is seed corn harvest with pickers instead of a regular combine?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will start off by saying I just took the pictures, i was just an observer. Someone with more insight than me is going to have to answer the picker question. I will attempt the 9/10 row head part. Seed corn is usually planted 4 female rows then 1 male row. The females get detasseled, once pollinated the male row is cut or removed. Many of the pickers are also used to pick sweet corn. A 9 row head will take out 8 female rows and the 1 empty row, 10 row covers 8 females/ 2 empty rows.
Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice looking dump carts. We are looking to buy a couple, know of any for sale Please give me a call, Thanks Mark 810-404-9651 looking for a richardton 975 or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is no "adable", or I assume you mean adaptable, to it. The configuration to pick seed corn and sweet corn is the same. I have dealt with the 8400 and 9400 series so I'm familiar with them. Pixall didn't largely take over the harvesting end, they bought Byron so its more of a total take over.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They don't use regular combines due to the fact the a regular combine might damage the kernal as it's being threshed. With these pickers all they do is run the ear through the head and then pretty much straight through the machine on a conveyor to a wagon, still intact on the cob. This way the seed corn company can do the threshing themselves at the plant and can control it a lot closer so there is much less of a chance of cracking kernals. Or a lot less will be damaged that way vs a regular combine anyway.

Around our area nobody uses the factory Byron heads anymore. Guys got smart and realized that they could use their corn head off their combine (usually JD's) and save money byusing the same head for commercial and seed corn. Most guys run 10 and 12 row heads on seed corn around here, nobody really worries about leaving a row unfed. That was another drawback to the Byron heads since they had a dummy row/s for the male rows that wouldn't pick anything and sometimes guys would try to splice in point rows along roads, around wells, fencellines, etc... and that would throw your head off big time if maybe you had a few extra rows crowding in there where the blank units were at. And growers are warned time and time again not to do that for these reasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts