The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted some sort of seed firming blade to a tine?

Looking to set up a super simple, single shoot seeder to plant broad beans.

Thinking about a coil tine with maybe a nylon type seed firmer instead of press wheels, and a drag chain.

We run a JD1890 for everything else and it eats time with maintenance so want to keep this second bar very simple. Interested in any thoughts. Cheers

Will

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Will, I think Madsnake and a few others may know just what you are looking for. I've seen them on here in the past.

But are you sure you would want a "coil" tine? They sure do seem to wiggle around a lot IMO. Perhaps you know of some that do not. I have been using the IH 45 and newer vibrashank units. You can buy them assembled and "here", not much more than 100 USD. Then put whatever point you wish on it and IH even makes the boots if you wish to use that type. They are very inexpensive, but do tend to break the spot welds if you get into some tough going that makes the shanks snap back against the stop very much. Of course my hose routing setup may play a role in that as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How did your seeding setup go this year will with the second box? How are things looking over on the island?
We had a reasonable run with the broadies this year but still had blocked hoses and boots on our bourgault 8810. we use a primary sales boot for the seed then use the existing bourgault boot to shoot fert down under the seed. We used tagteam inoculant this year and sent that down with the seed then shot the super down deep under the seed to try separate it from the inoculant. We also put liquid zinc out also and beans look quite good again this year.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be right about the coil tine Don, to be honest I've no experience with them. There's a couple here in Aus, one 300lb breakout and one 700lb. I thought these might be ok but really don't know. Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did your seeding setup go this year will with the second box? How are things looking over on the island?
We had a reasonable run with the broadies this year but still had blocked hoses and boots on our bourgault 8810. we use a primary sales boot for the seed then use the existing bourgault boot to shoot fert down under the seed. We used tagteam inoculant this year and sent that down with the seed then shot the super down deep under the seed to try separate it from the inoculant. We also put liquid zinc out also and beans look quite good again this year.
Yeah we had a pretty good run. Did about 400ha with that setup but it was pretty slow. Things looking ok now but we've had as much rain as last year so pretty wet. If it wasn't so warm and sunny early on we'd be in real trouble again. Yep beans love zinc, pour it on. Do you have a bourgault air cart? Seems like they're the only modern cart that can deliver broadies. Cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
These broad beans, are they faba beans or those large flat ones up to the size of a thumbnail? The latter sounds like a bean a bloke trialed here about 20 yrs back. He planted with a precision planter. A double disc planter might be the go, but you want to keep maintenance down. Also is row spacing an issue?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These broad beans, are they faba beans or those large flat ones up to the size of a thumbnail? The latter sounds like a bean a bloke trialed here about 20 yrs back. He planted with a precision planter. A double disc planter might be the go, but you want to keep maintenance down. Also is row spacing an issue?
I believe they are derived from faba beans however they are much larger. Seed is about 50/100g or about 20mm plus. Am going for 15" to match the 1890.

Will

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Not exactly what you are looking for, but the Technotill - Precision Packing System may give you some ideas.

There are also a few shank mount packers out there that could use really narrow packers to firm the seed.

I would think the biggest problem with it would be keeping the soil from closing before you get it firmed. That would seem to say that a firming tab rather than wheel may be your best shot like you said. I am sure it can be done.

Something like The Fin may also be an option if you want to get into building a bracket. JD Skiles - The Fin

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not exactly what you are looking for, but the Technotill - Precision Packing System may give you some ideas.

There are also a few shank mount packers out there that could use really narrow packers to firm the seed.

I would think the biggest problem with it would be keeping the soil from closing before you get it firmed. That would seem to say that a firming tab rather than wheel may be your best shot like you said. I am sure it can be done.

Something like The Fin may also be an option if you want to get into building a bracket. JD Skiles - The Fin
Thanks I'd forgotten about these. They might work quite well.

Anyone using them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts