The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I guess the first question would be where farmers stand on public plant breeding,? and secondly what entity would take over that work load.? Third and most important is how much more will this royalty cost.? Public plant breeding is a money losing venture for the liberal government and I wonder if the public cares about funding breeding programs. I would much rather see the Crop Development Center take over or maybe the U of M or U OF A. As a farmer if its going to cost more for cereals I would expect the industry to be as efficient as possible.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I guess the first question would be where farmers stand on public plant breeding,? and secondly what entity would take over that work load.? Third and most important is how much more will this royalty cost.? Public plant breeding is a money losing venture for the liberal government and I wonder if the public cares about funding breeding programs. I would much rather see the Crop Development Center take over or maybe the U of M or U OF A. As a farmer if its going to cost more for cereals I would expect the industry to be as efficient as possible.
They are talking 3 or 4 bucks an acre to start with. On cereals that alone could turn into 75 or 100 million a year. What on God's green earth kind of research is going on? These programs never produce a return for us, just look at how that has worked in the past. Further if this really becomes the norm then I will be expecting all the research money we are putting into the producer groups to end, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they are implementing a pilot program does that make it signed into law? From the article "The two-year pilot program is expected to lead to the creation of a permanent platform". Seems to me it is still possible to stop this.

How long would it be possible to keep current public varieties registered? It seems they are only implementing the royalty with new varieties. Would it be possible to avoid paying the royalties by continuing to grow older varieties?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If they are implementing a pilot program does that make it signed into law? From the article "The two-year pilot program is expected to lead to the creation of a permanent platform". Seems to me it is still possible to stop this.

How long would it be possible to keep current public varieties registered? It seems they are only implementing the royalty with new varieties. Would it be possible to avoid paying the royalties by continuing to grow older varieties?

They'll just move the old varieties into lower classes like CNHR wheat under the guise of "milling specs" or some other BS and just deregister them slowly. Fucking limagrain can screw off.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can’t see the how this royalty would get collected on farm saved seed unless crop insurance seeded acre data is shared. Seems like a nightmare for somebody.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is probably impossible to answer, but, When a bushel of certified wheat seed is purchased, how much of that cost is a “tech use” or goes back toward research?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I can’t see the how this royalty would get collected on farm saved seed unless crop insurance seeded acre data is shared. Seems like a nightmare for somebody.
Not if it’s right next to your “check off” rip off at the end of the line. And yes they were hinting on that.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Must have been really poorly managed companies who make millions a year that never had the foresight to allocate some of the earnings back to research and breeding. Sure glad they are allowed to get away with this, would really hate to see them struggle and have to dip into their millions in profit. It's ok if I have to struggle financially for a little longer, I'm used to it anyway.

·
Registered
658 Posts

The way i understand it, the pilot program can be put into place as a experiment without a change in legistation. But to put it into law, a change is required. So if the pilot fails(poor uptake or other major problems),it will be changed so farms will participate or scrapped. So yes, it can still be changed but it will be harder as a few will think it is ok if a exceptional variety is released for the pilot.

As for the second part, you can still use old varieties for as long as they are registered for delivery to terminals. Once deregistered you will be able to sell to feedlots as I don't think a cows belly cares if it is registered or not. Unless the feed market wants a specific variety they should be fine with a deregistered truck load.

In my opinion this will be a new and ever expanding government agency. There will need to be many new jobs in administration, communication, policing and enforcement and of course some of us farmers will be fined and sent to jail, just like the old days when the mighty wheat board was in place. But....I wonder if the same rules will apply east of Manitoba?

All paid for from the 3 or 4 dollars per acre which will balloon to many more times that once they figure out that they can spend our money faster than they can collect it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not if it’s right next to your “check off” rip off at the end of the line. And yes they were hinting on that.
This is one of there big issues, they will lose out on all crops that are seeded for greenfeed, silage and sawth grazing. They are so greedy that they want every acre seeded so they want a way to collect the money without missing one. They realize that if they use crop insurance data, since some farmers don't use it they wouldn't pay anything. And then crop insurance would get used less and they crop insurance providers wouldnt allow that.
So they are considering self declaration but think of policing that would cost. I have also heard they are talking about satellite acre checking and then just send you your yearly bill.
Of all the meetings I have gone to, funding is not talked about and the moderator steers the meeting to avoid funding all together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts