The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard there will be seed treat that actually controls wire worms available for spring 2020. This is in Canada. Does anyone know which company? Product name?

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! We are getting pretty desperate for some options here. I appreciate the info

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not sure how well it works, but found out recently that the Nipsit Suite has wireworm stuff in it and is way cheaper than the rest. Guys using it here have been happy. Might be a stop gap until the new BASF stuff is available.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Personally I just would seed heavier. Seed treatment for wire worms is very costly. But, if you have them that bad, maybe it’s worth the money.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not sure how well it works, but found out recently that the Nipsit Suite has wireworm stuff in it and is way cheaper than the rest. Guys using it here have been happy. Might be a stop gap until the new BASF stuff is available.
FYI all the seed treatments available in Canada now that control wireworms only get the wireworms kinda drunk for a while until the plants get big enough for them to survive the wireworms eating the roots.
Hopefully this new treatment will actually kill the wireworms. I am looking forward to the new BASF seed treatment.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The new stuff is fatal to the worms. Actually shows activity on them a year after application as well.

If you have worms bad don't seed at a higher rate and expect it to work. The reason we have test plots for for these things is our area is ground zero for some of the worst wireworms in the country. We've had seven companies and three university research plots. If your populations are high all you will do is feed them by higher rates of seed alone. Also, while they don't kill the larger worms, neonics at the maximum rate have reduced populations over time as they do affect the smaller ones. We have seen this in the 10 year plots on our ground. That being said, we are excited for Teraxxa. Guys complain about cost, but here a $5 an acre application of generic Gaucho (at the max rate) can save $150 or more an acre of yield. That math works in my book.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Corteva also has new one called Lumivia. Just an add-in to other treatments such as Raxil. Supposed to kill wireworms as well. Spring availability for 2020. I have some on order, will see if it pans out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally I just would seed heavier. Seed treatment for wire worms is very costly. But, if you have them that bad, maybe it’s worth the money.

X2 Seed heavier this season and use the BASF seed treatment next year to kill the wireworms. Personally I wouldn't spend the money on the existing products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts