The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Have the G3 graham treater. Easy to run and use. Have the pump for barrels and made it so I can suck straight out of jugs.No more washing bins out or handling treated seed with multiple augers. Clean seed in a hopper and then run it through the treater in to a auger into the truck and then into the drill. Have one auger dedicated to only treated seed and fertilizer. Don't have to worry about if its clean enough for loading grain to the elevator. Also once you figure out your bpm through the auger you can usually treat just enough so you don't have any carry over to worry about storing.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
An even bigger question may be, is there any ROI on cereals seed treatments. From the last 100 posts on combine forum in other topics, and field trials, i would say no.

We use the on the go only for innoculants on beans and peas.

·
Registered
366 Posts
so what would you guys do in my situation: found smut for the first time ever in our barley silage last year. We were thinking some kind of treatment, at least on that field, maybe farm wide? We do around 800 acres each year for silage. Would we be confident to stop after a few years? Does clean(er) seed make more of the difference?

We had been thinking maybe just as cheap as hanging the jug off the back of the tandem as it unloads, or a decent loading auger dedicated to it if we find one at an auction or something...

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The disease is in your seed. For the cost of seed treatment, that goes a long way to new seed. Seed treatments mask a problem, eliminate the problem for a long term solution. Longer crop rotations, new seed, fungicides - not letting problems build, are vital to healthy crops. Grow your own seed on a minimum 4 year rotated piece of dirt.

Do you spray a fungicide? Money much better spent esp in forage for nice healthy plants.

CDC Meredith is resistant, and i think metcalfe is too.

Treating the seed is of course an option too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used to use the gravity flow treater on the air cart auger but needed a step ladder to fill it and then it didn't work that well anyway. So I made a bracket for the tank so I could fill it standing on the ground and hooked up a self priming delevan 2gpm pump to it. From the pump I ran hose to the hopper where I put a spray nozzle mounted on a magnet so it would be easy to remove to clean out the hopper. I also mounted a switch on the top of the cart by the fill holes and one by the pump. I put quick couplers in the lines and made the pump easily removable in case of a heavey frost. It works great and was made from stuff I had laying around in the shop.

·
Registered
366 Posts
absolutely have seen the value of fungicides: leaves stay way healthier and fibre digestibility is much improved, kernel fill ability seems to be greater, end up with higher starch content..... I could go on and on :)

Are there fungicides that work on smut, I had been assuming it was all in the seed/soil side of things? Likely will have to get a better source of seed this year, we were experimenting with a new variety and got a little more than we bargained for :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.