The Combine Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Anybody with Morris Contour 2 -I like the Looks of the Morris Contour 2 drill although I’ve never seen one Operate up close.
On Heavy Clay soil paired row openers DO Not Work,as the soil doesn’t flow around boots like some other soil types

Question is would side band openers work on 10 inched spaced Contour?? Without too much Soil throw into adjacent rows??
It's a 1:1 ratio opener so same as CaseIH 800, NH P2070 and BG XTC. With a side band opener on 10" you will be at or under 4mph likely to keep it from stepping. Will depend on soil conditions and how deep you are going, undisturbed soil is better for sure.

They do a good job of following the ground though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would sure like to try out some other drills other than the Deere conservapaks, problem is everything else sucks in the hills/turns.
Seems I am limited to just the conservapak design, as it has short paralink arms, and the frame has wheels in the centre as opposed to way out back and way up front, this all provides better cornering and reduces effects of going through sharp hill crests or dips.

Not really a fan of their air carts, expensive metering, and fouls up fast.

I require air drills that can seed only where 4x4 trucks can drive. but who else makes one?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Amity Concord Legacy. Pulls great on hills. Good flotation due to massive back tires. This year we seeded as fast as 7.8mph. 60 more hp this year and tracks should put us around 8 consistently.

Emergence was fantastic, but it's our first paralink, so only can compared to our old hoe/neighbors

I don't promote equipment that we use lightly, but this is one piece I truly believe we made the best choice possible for our farm. Pillar was up there, but still worried about discs when we've had so many wet springs

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Icon tank is pretty slick imo. We’ve used ours 2 seasons and never had any issues with the meter or wifi. The gateway needs a second battery or less power draw when the hydraulic power to the alternator is off it runs out of battery power in a few minutes or less.

My wife who has never ran a seed drill before was knocking off 5-600 ac a day for 5 days straight no problem(no nitrogen so 2-300 ac a fill).
I’m looking forward to the new switch so I don’t have to try hitting the iPad screen while bouncing around on headlands.
Not a great conveyor imo belt dosent like to run straight and pretty much need 2 people to load it mostly because it fills so fast.
I’m picking on the issues we did have. Overall I wouldn’t trade it for anything else even if you paid me lol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How do seedhawk guys load the canola tank? Throw 50lbs bags? Is it possible to load mini bulks? Looks like you’d need a pretty long boom to reach over the tire and with the lid being so low it doesn’t look like you could use the conveyor.

·
Registered
869 Posts
How do seedhawk guys load the canola tank? Throw 50lbs bags? Is it possible to load mini bulks? Looks like you’d need a pretty long boom to reach over the tire and with the lid being so low it doesn’t look like you could use the conveyor.
You can use the conveyor if you put on the extension.
We still throw bags. Keeps your back strong. If I had a picker I would order some mini bulks. Not a big deal either way imo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Orsy please share more about your amity. What is your row spacing? Spreader boot? What determines the depth, large packer wheel? Good seed to soil contact in canola? How is the tank?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Orsy please share more about your amity. What is your row spacing? Spreader boot? What determines the depth, large packer wheel? Good seed to soil contact in canola? How is the tank?
https://www.amityseeding.com/air-seeders/precision-shank-drill/overview/

Row spacing is 6-9-6-9. Two rows on 15 inch centers with a 6 inch paired row and fertilizer down the middle. Excellent seed to soil contact. Seeded all our canola at 4.3lbs last year. Will likely go lower this year if conditions are good like last year.

The packer wheel is 7 inches wide. The sidewalls are stiff and lie right above each paired row. The depth is determined by the frame, similar to a BG 3320qda. 5 minute depth change.

Our tank is a 525bu which is their biggest. Fully stainless, scale, 10in auger with poly flighting. This year they came out with sectional control and turn compensation, but we don't have that. We use liquid with SC down the points.

Added some pics. I don't promote equipment lightly, but I love this drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Orsy are you strictly no till, or some tillage ahead of the seeder. How would it do in flax straw or no till heavy wheat stubble? Does it leave much stubble standing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Orsy are you strictly no till, or some tillage ahead of the seeder. How would it do in flax straw or no till heavy wheat stubble? Does it leave much stubble standing?
We are mixed till. We generally heavy harrow stubble in the fall. With the semi dwarf hrsw varieties, I believe you wouldn't have to do anything because of the cutting coulter. Provided your chopper did a good job. We harrow the canola stubble too, to try to get a weed flush before winter. Definitely wouldn't need to.

I have no experience with flax, but the coulter is self sharpening. I feel like it would be similar to a vertical till machine in that regard, but because its directly in front of the shank, there shouldn't be anything getting caught on shanks unless it's really wet and won't cut.

We also have a Protill for pot holes and wet years. Last spring we had a couple of quarters that got it and the machine worked equally well on what was worked. The Protill has the rubber roller for good packing. I think that is important on our soil for the independent drills.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What we noticed with seed hawk and BG.. Seed hawk on 12 inch is best for canola, but with narrow opener few bu loss with cerials on 12 inch, there canola seed job is like seed master and very tough to beat.. Very rough seed bed..not the best trash clearance in peas.. Carts we seen the last few years on hawk have gotten a lot better, less motor stalls and bugs on. iPad fixed, sectional control ok, Hose leaks hydraulic, drill nice and light, 66' for narrow frame largest..

BG neighbors also do a nice job, less risk of seed burn with mid row but did see it takes a week longer till nitrogen hits crop at early stage, goes from yellow to green quick when it hits.. Metering system seams a little bouncy, had problems with build up on augers, could use newer technology for metering.. But over all great tank and low compaction, decent conveyor.. Drill works well they say over all and easy to change depth.. But very heavy to pull around, over built for weight.. Contour of ground very well.. Primary hoses don't last a season, takes some hydraulic flow, sectional control worked well, no misses, $$

We Ended up buying the Cnh tank.. 580bu tow between.. Like the weight on the tractor, tank worked well, canola vacume tank awesome and load from ground, metering very accurate, no motor problems or stalls and distribution good, sectional control accurate, conveyor works well with one person loading from a supper b, primary hoses weak and don't make a season, went back to a c shank hoe drill on 10inch, not the best job for canola, but it does crop a pretty comparable crop, 3.5 pared row spread with fert 1.5 inch under.. Our cereals/pulse are fine.. Talks iOS with tractor pro700 controller.. Drill and tank 58' and almost exactly half the price of the other two.. Good dealer service

61 - 72 of 72 Posts