The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen at agritrade seedhawk built openers to run inline like dutch built. Also have an inline twin wing opener that goes behind the fert knife. Wasn't a fan of 12 inch spacing maybe this would help use more seed bed but wonder if it comprimizes seed placement?

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Isn't there supposed to be a plastic divider that mounts to the back of the opener to help maintain proper seed placement?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have run Dutch 4 1/2 and 5" paired row for years and like the SBU and ability to separate seed and fertilizer without seed damage. The 12 or 12.6" spacing clears straw so much better than all the narrow space independent configurations. Might be a good year to make a move to wider space with all the heavy crop, lodged straw, wet harvest conditions resulting in poor chop quality, very little fall work done, and lots of crop going to be left out it looks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Seen at agritrade seedhawk built openers to run inline like dutch built. Also have an inline twin wing opener that goes behind the fert knife. Wasn't a fan of 12 inch spacing maybe this would help use more seed bed but wonder if it comprimizes seed placement?
I run the twin wing and I thought they where fantastic in cereals up until this year. This past year the fractured the soil too much and the seed row dried to powder from the seed up causing really poor emergence. I know everyone had less than ideal emergence this year, but I feel that the twin wing set up was much worse than others. The problem is there is not near enough packing pressure over the seed row(the only field I sort of had decent emergence on was the one I cranked the pressure till it lifted the wheels of the ground. Maybe with a better packing tire design that put the pressure towards the outside and packed where needed, it would be a better opener. On normal springs where there is plenty of moisture it does a great job in cereals, and acceptable job in canola. The problem with the canola is that the trench walls sluff down over the seed row making the seed 3/4 of an inch deep with packed dirt overtop and another inch of powder over that. Most of it still grows through it, but it's less than ideal. I think if I was to do it over I would get the single knife. I have 25,000 acres on it now, and I have some seed hawk openers on it, bourgault, and Dutch. The bourgault are by far the heaviest, and I suspect they will have the longest life. Bourgault plug the least as well. But the bourgault are by far the heaviest, I worry that if I put the bourgault ones on every opener I would have a hard time folding up the drill, as it already seems to struggle.

If you do a search of my posts there has been lots of discussion about this.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had a drought this year guess last 2.5 years, we seed with a disc drill with minimal disturbance and a 1830bderre with 3.5 Inch twin wing openers. Seeded side by side this year on 4 separate pieces of land trying to figure out which was better. Never seen a yield difference on either or the system's this year according to yield maps both on 10 inch spacing. Always hear cereals do better in tighter row spacing more or less not convinced 12 inch spacing a fit for our area. Could see too much disturbance in the row with twin wing for moisture retention, but if disc and 3.5 inch opener no difference that is polar opposites.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We had a drought this year guess last 2.5 years, we seed with a disc drill with minimal disturbance and a 1830bderre with 3.5 Inch twin wing openers. Seeded side by side this year on 4 separate pieces of land trying to figure out which was better. Never seen a yield difference on either or the system's this year according to yield maps both on 10 inch spacing. Always hear cereals do better in tighter row spacing more or less not convinced 12 inch spacing a fit for our area. Could see too much disturbance in the row with twin wing for moisture retention, but if disc and 3.5 inch opener no difference that is polar opposites.
I think you need over 10”of rain in the growing season to see a difference in row spacing wheat yield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts