The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeding 2013 started May 17th... Finished June 10thish.

Put in 10 quarters of peas, wheat, canola, oats, and a bit of barley.

Lots of trials too. Polish canola, varying fertility.

All of it was zero-tilled, other than barley onto flax which got a wishek disk treatment because we couldn't get the drill through the residue.

Had two major breakdowns... one, center hinge of the drill let go completely, drill folded back on itself.... caught it quick, welded everything together... all good again. 2nd one, hydraulic pump on the MF 4840 let go. $1900 later and we were back in the field.

Let's start of with some scenery pics...

This field.... yeah... new to us.... gave it 1.5L/ac of gly, and another 1L/ac of gly in crop (RR canola). Probably going to spray it with 2L/ac this fall... and add something too... Express Pro? Or even stronger.

Blair's Ag out applying our N program.... We also put down 20lbs of K with the N... SuperU is what we used.

Very minimum disturbance outta this drill.

Old harrows... yes, they're not a heavy harrow... but they work well to spread and break up the straw.

Some hills on this stuff....

and trees....

This is another one from Darcy... Panorama.

Lots more to come... Questions/comments welcome.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
This field.... yeah... new to us.... gave it 1.5L/ac of gly, and another 1L/ac of gly in crop (RR canola). Probably going to spray it with 2L/ac this fall... and add something too... Express Pro? Or even stronger.

WOW!! My first thought was why didn't you add something to the glyphosate to kill all that RR canola...then I had a closer look. Oh crap, Dandelions!!

According to the Crop Protection book, glyphosate at 540g - 720g per acre. Express SG could be added at 6g - 12g per acre. Express Pro at 7g per acre gives some residual control. Just be careful on late season Express - could limit your 2014 cropping plans!

Honestly, if you are going in post-harvest, I'd go with a heavy (720g) rate of glyphosate by itself. Control should be excellent. If you need, you can always do a pre-seed in 2014 as well and add something to the glyphosate at that time if needed...

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worried too much about recropping, Andrew, we're seeding it to barley next year.... So Express Pro would be OK.

Acutually was thinking of adding Lontrel in the fall.

This is the only quarter we farm that's bad for dandelions....

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have found heat and glyphosate the best in the fall we used to use express but can limit cropping plans next yr. DO you still have the big kirovet? or has the massey replaced it

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with the superU. We did a trial last year on canola and it looked awesome all year but the wind got it so couldn't get any data from it. However the comparisons as best we could do looked very promising.

However we're set up with large tanks for dry and nh3 so the premium for the superU spread across the whole farm seems pretty excessive.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I used 1 litre of round up and express SG in the fall and seeded canola into it in the spring worked very well very clean in the spring I could use a half litre for burn off

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That land's straight south of Hiway 5 from Carmel.

We "farm" in the St. Gregor area (south, half way between Gregor, Leroy, and Muenster)... Home Q is north of Lever Enterprises by 3 miles.

·
Ken Adams
1,299 Posts
Christian it sounds like you are thinking of making change to seeding equipment for next year. Your 8500 looks like one of the later ones and in pretty good shape. I thought I might share where we are at with an 8500 and what we have done.
-built liquid tow between cart, N & S in one tank and alpine (orto Phos) in other
-shoot N & S to side and drop alpine right on top of seed. This is a 12" machine, on our 7" only had one N tube on back of each shank
-now we could take fert dividers out of grain tank, now 145 bushel vs 85
-no more dry fert so we built gran innoculant tank using seed cups from 6200
drills and we drop into venturis where dry fert used to go
-to work properly, must be pulled with MF tractor

-these are Gen carbide tips and we had to weld them to the shank adapters, to keep them from tipping down
-only seed no-till
-we farm rolling land with some pretty good hills and this unit tracks very well
-this is a "frugal" unit
Ken A
Kindersley, Sask

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing!

Few questions for you:

1. What size of liquid tanks do you have? I.E. acres/fill?

2. Did you set the liquid cart tires to track in the drill tires?

3. How well do those openers wear, and how pricey (if you don't mind me asking) are the GEN ones? I tried getting ahold of someone but left a message and never got a call back... AtomJets are over $80, but they replace the boot too.

4. Is this setup, do you feel, worth the cost premium of a liquid fertility program?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Ken Adams
1,299 Posts
Chris
1-N/S tank is 1200 imp gal, and alpine is 500 imp
acres/fill -canola, limiting factor is N/S tank size, about 55 acres
-peas, seed tank is limiting factor, about 50 acres (was about 25 acres with fert divider in)
2-cart tires are following dual tires on tractor
3-the carbides wear very well, what wears out is behind carbide. I am getting about 4-5 thousand acres out of an opener (or more), compared to a standard eagle beak that I might have gotten 7-800 acres out of. Paid $35 for these tips last year and I still have quite a few adapters from 7" machine.I have not tried to replace a Gen tip that was welded to adapter yet!
4-don't quite understand your question, yes you pay a premium for 28-0-0 but I think it has advantages. Yes alpine is expensive, but here it (my situation) it works. Our equipment costs are low with this set-up if I do not count my labour.
Ken

·
Registered
868 Posts
Flatfoot I realy like ur avatar, is it fotoshopped or real , if real tel us the rest of the "story" .

Kurt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts