The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's seeding efficiencies if you compare potential versus actual? ie width of seeder times speed (ac/ hour) versus actual acres covered per hour?
What are people doing to get closer to their actual potential?
Quick fill times? Best way to do that? Conveyall trailers with all products for cart versus separate truck for each product?
Larger carts? Floated on Nitrogen? Only farm/rent 160 ac or larger pieces? No small irregular shaped land?
Curious what others efficiencies are?
We are at about 75% (average) using NH3 as our N source with a 430 bu cart.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm about 70%, I have goals, to get things done in certain time frames, but with slow fills, minor breakdowns, yesterday was our best day at 78%.

Speed up fills, train a young guy on the drill, and spend more time myself on it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I average 25ac/hr while seeding with a fill time of 45min doing it alone filling three products out of two trucks. With help fill time is 30min.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just wondering proper way to figure out am potential acres per hour. Have always used feet x mph ÷ 10. I'd that accurate? Usually manage 17 - 20 acres per hour with 47' at 4.7 mph. Depending in field shape and conditions

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Say a 40' drill at 5mph

40/16.5(width of 1 acre) = 2.42 acres / pass

Then 2.42 x mph (doubled since an acre is 1/2 mile)

So 2.42 x 10

So with a 40' at 5 mph you should get in 24 acres/hour

·
Registered
395 Posts
Say a 40' drill at 5mph

40/16.5(width of 1 acre) = 2.42 acres / pass

Then 2.42 x mph (doubled since an acre is 1/2 mile)

So 2.42 x 10

So with a 40' at 5 mph you should get in 24 acres/hour
I use the old math say 40' drill at 5 mph

40 / 8.25 = 4.848484848 x 5 mph = 24.24242424 a/h
Same but diff.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
From tractor hours to acres done on drill I am about 60%. Tractor warm up time, road travel between fields and amount of product used have big impact.

By simple math a 15 foot drill and 1000 bushel air tank will give you incredible efficiency %, but not a practical number.

I think the number we should be looking is what % of farms seeded acres can you AVERAGE per day. Short season zones probably need 10% and long season zones probably can get by with 5% and rest inbetween.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Long fields make a huge difference if you can arrange it that way.

If you encounter a wet spot just do a hair pin U turn until you can go past it and struggle with those places at a later date.

If you have row monitors, or even if you don't, develope a policy on how to deal with a blockage or false alarm that solves the problem with one stop, or the most two. It's not hard to cover all the bases once you're working on it, carry all the needed tools with you to do the needed things if you're climbing around on a drill.

Have spare packer wheels or anything that can randomly fail bolted on the drill as spares or otherwise stored along with tools. A bearing failure needs to be a minor inconvenience.

Do what it takes for one man to be able to fill from on top of the cart without getting down.
(This is the only time to take a leak without holding up progress, so you might need to climb down or have a favourable wind)

Have fuel and DEF delivered when you pull up to fill the drill along with as many helpers as can be arranged for general service or defered maintenance like parts change out, switching drivers, delivering food or even cleaning the openers.

Have a bookmark on your home page for TheCombineForum.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
From tractor hours to acres done on drill I am about 60%. Tractor warm up time, road travel between fields and amount of product used have big impact.

By simple math a 15 foot drill and 1000 bushel air tank will give you incredible efficiency %, but not a practical number.

I think the number we should be looking is what % of farms seeded acres can you AVERAGE per day. Short season zones probably need 10% and long season zones probably can get by with 5% and rest inbetween.
As always Bud, you make a good post. I would try to average about 7%. Wouldn't call us a short season area typically. But we have not had a number of good seeding days the last four years. I set a target on acres per day average. A goal to spray and seed per day is good I think. And important to let your crew in on it. My Mom is almost 70, but every night she asks me how many acres we got done.
So for your area Bud what do you see as the number of actual seeding days?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i would think ours is in the tank this last few days lots stupid break downs no matter how much you go throu the drills there is always somthing a buddie of mine cant work out why we have two drills for 5000 acs a 60ft hawk and 40 ft flex he thinks we should get 500 acs per day best to date 380 in daylight hours fill times are ok just lotsa stupid crap happing to the drills that take up time like new wheel bearing failing on the castors or depth control valve on the flex going buggerd how can you see that coming
he has a 40ft air drill and getting 250 acs a day he must live in the tractor seat or be going like ****

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
One other thing I see with neighbours that run multiple drills is having the help to keep the drill running as long.
We have tried a lot of different things like going 24hrs when things get behind but have found that to try and run 20 hrs a day, with one drill that is. At least everybody gets a little sleep.
Seeding speed is also huge factor.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
We try to average 400 acres a day with a 60 foot machine. Usually seeding by 4:30am to 9:30-10pm. On wheat we have to stop around 120 acres to fill and on canola we are stopping every 160 acres for Nh3 but only have to fill the air cart every 400 acres with phosphate as we have our sulphur on in the fall. While we fill is when we do our greasing and fueling. #1 priority is to keep the air seeder running. Everything else is second place. #2 Priority is to keep the drill operator (myself) happy. That includes bringing food and beverages out and whatever else I require.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
#2 Priority is to keep the drill operator (myself) happy. That includes bringing food and beverages out and whatever else I require.
Yesterday my wife brought me a ham sandwich without cheese and a kid to ride along with me. I was bitter.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
yeah we run daylight hours to sloughy to run in the dark and as there is only dad 65 doing goofer thing getting seed fert etc etc its tough on him day after day so take it slow on him
me and my brother seed my brother runs the hawk full time i stop to spray harrow help dad the hawk is our main drill so try and keep that going

·
Registered
81 Posts
We try to average 400 acres a day with a 60 foot machine. Usually seeding by 4:30am to 9:30-10pm. On wheat we have to stop around 120 acres to fill and on canola we are stopping every 160 acres for Nh3 but only have to fill the air cart every 400 acres with phosphate as we have our sulphur on in the fall. While we fill is when we do our greasing and fueling. #1 priority is to keep the air seeder running. Everything else is second place. #2 Priority is to keep the drill operator (myself) happy. That includes bringing food and beverages out and whatever else I require.
What size are your carts? 350 and 4000?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As always Bud, you make a good post. I would try to average about 7%. Wouldn't call us a short season area typically. But we have not had a number of good seeding days the last four years. I set a target on acres per day average. A goal to spray and seed per day is good I think. And important to let your crew in on it. My Mom is almost 70, but every night she asks me how many acres we got done.
So for your area Bud what do you see as the number of actual seeding days?
Most years we seem to have 20 good days from April 25 to June 1. Last few years it has been closer to 15 good days. I average about 7% of seeded acreage per day.

As fertilizer rates keep increasing it is hard to get much done. I used to seed as many acres a day with a 40' airseeder and 160 bus tank as I now do with 55' drill and 550 bus tank.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts