The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I seeded conventional large green lentils on canola stubble and it was a disaster. Canola is a hard weed to kill in lentils as is wild mustard, which we have a lot of here. Odyssey is an over-rated chemical IMO and doesn't kill canola/wild mustard, would a **** as I did the same thing with a canola/pea rotation once. We have resistant mustard here as well so it amplifies the problem. Just my opinion for my area, but things may be different, where you are.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
Just remember at desiccating time you will have to use some heat with the roundup or reglone. From watching neighbors it seems like there may be less root rot seeding lentils on canola stubble than on heavy wet durum stubble. The canola volunteers with multiple flushes can be a pain to control.

·
Registered
233 Posts
heat in burnoff plus an imi in crop will control most of the canola (you wont get it all though!).
Actually biggest risk though is sclerotinia - if you get the right (or should I say wrong) weather in the summer you could have a real wreck - it will just be great big dead patches all over the place. with the indeterminate flowering they are susceptible to infection for quite a while....... I have had a lot better luck going in there with peas - a lot less disease issues (we don't seem to have as much issue with sclerotinia in peas for some reason) and the peas will compete with later flushes of canola better.
For whatever reason I always think the perennial weeds like Canada and sow thistle are worse in my pulse on canola crops vs pulse on cereals for some reason too

the plus side though - earlier warmer soil, less root rot and there is definatley some yield /quality issues if you seeded durum in there anyways!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd put a big asterix on using pursuit in the burnoff.... better to use your grp 2 in crop in that situation. There can be so many germinating canola seeds they will actually dilute the chemical uptake to a point it is ineffective and grow right through it. seems to be more effective as a contact product in crop to clean up what the heat missed.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.