The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeded one day got horribly stuck then it rained a ton. Some guys around here haven't even started so frustrating what's everyone else experiencing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
In my area se sask we are only going around 25 potholes per quarter so its a little better than 2 and 3 years ago. Going to get 2 inches now though so quite a setback.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
In our area most guys have been seeding for 7 to 8 days already. Got rained out at 8 am this morning. Took a drive around this morning as I have been in the tractor for the last 8 days and was surprised by how much is seeded. Quite a few guys in our area are atleast half done if not a little more. It was wet when we started and we were probably getting less acres then last year, but the last few days it was actually getting nice. Started a field this morning and it was the driest it has been in the last three years. Don't get me wrong though, it is far from being back to normal acres when it was dry.

71 Posts
Just got another inch and quarter the last day and half. Havent even started seeding yet, just harrowing and disking. Supposed to get more tonight and maybe tomorow. Hope to be seeding by June 1st hahahaaa. What a depressing spring.

·
Super Moderator
4,676 Posts
Just got another inch and quarter the last day and half. Havent even started seeding yet, just harrowing and disking. Supposed to get more tonight and maybe tomorow. Hope to be seeding by June 1st hahahaaa. What a depressing spring.
Not so tough now eh?;)

Actually...
That's a terrible joke, I can only imagine the frustration and helpless feeling sitting, waiting on weather to seed is, I think it's worse than a harvest rain.:(

But you'll have to admit, I had to make fun of your handle eventually!;)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Rain, rain, go away!!!!

We haven't turned a wheel yet. Were about a week away from starting before this last inch and a half today, probably set us back another week now. All low spots full and every water run has water flowing. Might be 500 acres done in this area that I know of but it was wet when they put it in. If I hear one more person say it's better this way than too dry, I'm going to punch them in the face!!! Can't even enjoy camping when it's like this!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
We've been able to go but we've been leaving parts of fields and switching crops from field to field and moving from corner to corner of the farm, we would have very little in if it wasn't for sunflower and soybean ground, and it's all been way to sticky and have put most of the soybeans into cold dirt but was the only ground we could keep going on, been harrowing like crazy trying to dry things up, guys only really got going Saturday here.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
And just for style points I buried my whole rig beside the trans canada highway entertaining every passerby.
Well of course!!!! That kind of thing never happens in the back 40!!! Always where everyone can see!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got started yesterday finally in some soybean stubble. Was one of our better drained fields and still missing some acres. Put in about 200 acres before it rained an inch. Likely wont move for a week now. Still hoping for enough dry weather we will get at least half of our acres seeded. SW mb ...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
We managed to get a decent chunk in but what a nightmare it's been. Harrowing the first day, vertical tillage the next, then hopefully seeding the day after that. The crop plan has been completely abandoned and we've had every price of equipment except the sprayer stuck multiple times. The winter wheat looks terrible but can't even consider ripping it up. Like I said three weeks ago," it'll be a miracle if we get more
Than 2/3's of the crop in."

Just on a side note we had two mornings with ***** frost all winter so if anyone believes it has any relation to rainfall is grossly mistaken.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I guess we got off easy down here, only half a tenth but moisture met and too greasy to seed today. Harrowed through water and everything last week then started seeding Friday evening, 22% seeded as of 4AM this morning....yawn.;)

It was dry on top but very wet underneath, can't handle too much rain!

·
Registered
913 Posts
We were able to seed for the first time on Sunday and that was it so far. Rained last night, should be able to go again tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I once had a farmer friend of mine from Oklahoma tell me "He would rather wait for it to dry up then wait for it to rain" not sure which is worse. We are about 25% done here East Central SK, but got about 3/4 inch today

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just started seeding on Sunday then rain Sunday night so shut down today waiting for things to dry up. Dry on top 2" but soft muck underneath. Drill was stuck allot, trucks were stuck. Thing just won't dry up. Nothing really planted at all around here.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts