The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Sprayed with glyphosate or reglone and straight cut in the past but still means you could be out in combine in October or November.
The Flax bolls are ready Early but straw IS Not. Could easily be stripped a month Earlier.
But do I have to have a disc drill or will my 10 inch spaced flexicoil work??

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have no experience with flax, but I can tell you my 12 inch Flexicoil drill would not go through stripped spring wheat stubble. Not even close.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Think a hoe drill would be a disaster, waiting on green stems is a pain, swath or direct cut is still the way to go I think

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I've got a neighbor that swathes his flax. Always does it early when the straw is green and the boils are ready. The green straw actually chops not too badly, believe it or not. Seems to cut up way easier than dry ripe straw.

·
Registered
569 Posts
exactly what i found, but conditions have to be right, low humidity really helps! A conventional combine now thats the best answer to your problem!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Have Sprayed with glyphosate or reglone and straight cut in the past but still means you could be out in combine in October or November.
The Flax bolls are ready Early but straw IS Not. Could easily be stripped a month Earlier.
But do I have to have a disc drill or will my 10 inch spaced flexicoil work??
Any time I’ve waited,I always wished in hind sight that I would have just went out with the stripper Header and got it done.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
@seedman was talking a while back about running a disc over the stripper stubble to mix it into the dirt a bit and spraying the ground with 28-0-0 and some bacterial stuff. By spring he's found that the straw is actually decomposed like wheat stubble and you can till and seed normally into it. This really intrigues me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@seedman was talking a while back about running a disc over the stripper stubble to mix it into the dirt a bit and spraying the ground with 28-0-0 and some bacterial stuff. By spring he's found that the straw is actually decomposed like wheat stubble and you can till and seed normally into it. This really intrigues me.
We did find excellent results, but we in fact were rolling the flax straw under with a moldboard plow. The difference was amazing, however as the plowed straw without the biology was pretty much the same condition as when we rolled it under 6 months previously, whereas the straw sprayed with biology was snapping like dry spaghetti.
Since that time we have refined things a bit, and now we are spraying on a saprophytic fungi compost tea onto our straw prior to any tillage. Apparently it can be used in a zero-till application, but every indication is that we get far more efficacy out of the product if the residue or straw can come in contact with the soil to really get activity happening. This would suggest a heavy harrow or the like to mix the straw in a bit. As far as how it would work on standing straw, I don't really have any experience to assist you in this, but the idea of running a disc over it once it was sprayed would be very successful from what we have found so far. Hope this helps. For what it's worth we haven't had to bale off our flax straw in the past 4 crops we have taken. We just chop it through our Case rotary combine and blow it all back on the land where we prefer it to be.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Have a neighbour that strips the flax to harvest it earlier. Than they go back and swath and bale the straw when they have time. They actually have a disc drill, but have had problems with that also in the past.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We have seen where green straw chops better than ripe straw but it is harder on the threshing system.We straight cut as high as possibleand chop ours and seed through it with a hoe drill it decomposses quite a bit during the winter.A few of our neighbors always use a stripper header when the straw is still green and go right in with the disc drill in the spring.Apparently stripper headers are the bet way to harvest flax, the sample is very clean,but they have said when the ground is to wet and the straw is green the header will pull the whole plant out of the ground.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A neighbor helped us harvest flax last fall with his stripper header. We could not seed through where he harvested with the stripper header. We have 12" spacing with 4" pared opener. Our drill will seed through 16" wheat stubble but would not seed through the flax. The fax was pulling out of the ground and causing the plugging.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A neighbor helped us harvest flax last fall with his stripper header. We could not seed through where he harvested with the stripper header. We have 12" spacing with 4" pared opener. Our drill will seed through 16" wheat stubble but would not seed through the flax. The fax was pulling out of the ground and causing the plugging.
We have Atom jet sideband opener( 1 3/4 inches wide) on 10 inch spacing and I suspect it would Also pull plants out and plug

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We’ve always chopped straw with cih rotary with Macdon header. Some sprayed with glyphosate or reglone , Some Without if there are few weeds. And you can cut it Fast as long as your knife is good. It just gets Frustrating finishing harvest in late August or Early September and then waiting on Flax till October or Even December one year ,due to early snowfall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts