The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a used Seedmaster Drill with a Nova air cart and used it this spring. The seeding tool worked great but we had some trouble with the nova air cart’s sectional control. The sections would turn off when they were supposed to but sometimes we’d have a section that wouldn’t turn back on. The pneumatic ram would stick off. We made sure to see that there was no air pressure keeping the ram off and there wasn’t. It seemed like the internal spring in the pneumatic ram was getting weak or sticking. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought about adding an external spring. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this same problem and found a good fix for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use air tool oil. There’s an internal spring in the cylinder that is supposed to extend the ram when the air pressure is released, but sometimes the ram would stick. Just a very small amount of pressure pushing on it by hand and it would release.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it's the old style cylinder than replace it. I had a few go on my on board style and didn't find anything that really worked well to repair them.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hey fellas. I’m a seedmaster dealer in northern Alberta since 2008. The air cylinder sectional control works flawless as long as some maintenance is done. 100% use air tool oil at start and end of season.

Step 1....make sure to drain the water from your receiver....many guys don’t. It’s an air compressor system like any other and needs to be treated as such.

Step 2.....Apply 10 drops into the quick connect air line at compressor receiver before and after seeding season and cycle sectional to work it through the whole system.

Step 3.....after seeding is done make sure you wash your tank and meter areas completely. I’ve seen where guys half wash things. Those air cylinders like any other will not like being half washed with fertilizer dust and dirt left on them in the off season. Creates crusting on the cylinder and will be no good next spring. Wash well. Give each cylinder a shot of sea foam deep creep spray and I even go as far as adding 1 drop of air tool oil into each air cylinder. Then cycle sectional 20-30 times. It takes a total of an hour to properly service before putting away and will guarantee zero issues in season. Plus those air cylinders ain’t cheap.
Another good thing to do is after you’ve washed properly spray deep creep on each side of the meter boxes. Where your meter shafts are mounted. Then run meters for 10 minutes. This will purge any water, dust or fertilizer out. There’s a plastic bushing and 2 o-rings per side. If you leave contaminants in there they will run rough. Meters will run like new forever if you do this. Again it takes very little time. I’ve seen nova meters seized hard or tough turning. Again spray them with deep creep. Let sit for a couple hours then fire up again. Amazing how it’ll wash and lube those bushings so quick and make it run like new again. Still possible you’d have to change a few bushings after doing this but it’ll rejuvenate most of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts