The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 7212 Seedmaster on-board seeder for this season and am having issues with the application rate. After putting the drill in the ground the meter turns about 1/16 of a turn, enough that you can see a few peas come out. It then stops for roughly 4 seconds then cranks the rate up anywhere from 850-1000, over applies, forces peas over the box and all over the ground plugging most of the hoses. The in around 100 feet finds its rate and works great for the pass. Lift up do my turn, set back down and it does the exact same thing. It appears the meter is doing what it should. The pwm valve cranks the rate as it doesn’t turn which is resulting in over applying. Anyone run into this. I should say that the meters all turn easily by hand. And I already changed the hydraulic motor that runs the meters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I got 2 days into this already and got 17 acres in and one heck of a mess so far.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How is you tractor set up? Do you have enough hydraulic flow for everything? If you are short of flow and your downpressure and meters are fed by the same pump when you start out the meters will be starved. Doesn't have to be downpressure could be anything else that is using flow when you first start out. Edit: Meters and downpressure are the same lines. I guess I mean openers and fans.

On my 535 versatile it only had 2 pumps and I was trying to run 2 on frame tanks. Didn't have enough flow. Put one fan on each pump and it was manageable but still had issues. Now run a 485 with 3 pumps and it's much better. Seedmasters need lots of hydraulics.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The hesitation of the meters is definitely hydraulic starvation. I had the same issues on my seedmaster when I was pulling it with a Versatile with barely enough hydraulic capacity.
Can you see the hydraulic regulator block gauge for the meters from the cab? Most likely when your meter hesitates the pressure will drop for a second or two. Then pop back up and the pwm over compensates.
The first thing you can do is set the upper limit for your pwm to stop it from flooding your seed cups. If you go to your screen that shows those settings while your seeding you should be able to see the realtime speed that your pwm is running at. There should also be a setting something like "upper limit pwm" or something like that. Set it maybe 10% higher then your normal seeding speed. That will stop your meter from going crazy and flooding your seed cups when it hesitates.
The hydraulic shortage could be a few things. Most likely the meter is plumbed in to your main block that controls the down pressure. The easiest thing is to run a dedicated circuit to the meter regulator block if you have an open remote.
I think there is a bottle neck when getting its flow through the main block on the drill.
It doesn't take much flow to work perfectly but it needs to be consistent. I have mine plumbed to a separate remote running at only about 15% flow and has worked flawlessly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts