The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info we upgraded our drill this fall from a 50 ft seedmaster to a 60. The new drill has the larger main frame tires which prob gains 2 or 3 inches height on the centre section of the drill. Who has run this drill and do we have to compensate the depth on the openers to compensate the main frame height? If you think of how the new bourgault drill works it has me wondering where to set the depth of all the openers this spring. Any experience would be good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
So the center section is higher than the wings? That's a pain. Yes, you'll have to have the center openers set to a different depth than the wing openers. As the frame rises due to the taller tires, the opener knives will rise slightly. On the SM, the seed knife is a lot closer to the packer wheel than the frame, so the effect should be minimal. On the BG opener, the knife is closer to the middle of the opener and so the frame has more of an effect on it.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Looking for info we upgraded our drill this fall from a 50 ft seedmaster to a 60. The new drill has the larger main frame tires which prob gains 2 or 3 inches height on the centre section of the drill. Who has run this drill and do we have to compensate the depth on the openers to compensate the main frame height? If you think of how the new bourgault drill works it has me wondering where to set the depth of all the openers this spring. Any experience would be good to know. Thanks
Very important you don’t change the tire height on the seedmaster or really any independent opener drill from original design. If you lift the front frame height it changes the attack angle of the knives and will cause you issues with attaining proper depth and cutting ability. I’ve seen guys try that and it causes lots of problems with crop emergence and yield.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Well I imagine if the drill came factory with the larger main frame tires wouldn’t they account for the extra main frame height at the factory???? If not DUHHHHHH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts