The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am getting married and currently logging for a job. Logging schedule is the complete opposite of farming, so it is hard to farm much. I would like to be self-employed in farming. I just don't know how to exactly. I have fairly good markets here, a lot being direct marketing grain. Is it even possible to be able to do what I want to do? Some custom work? Any advice? I know these are hard to have any kind of an answer to.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Frankly, getting married can either really complicate or really help you in your farming endeavor depending on whether your future wife shares your dream or not. Is she willing to add to the farm by working out or on it? Is she willing to go for days or weeks without seeing you much. There are a lot of people on this forum who work away from the farm and farm too. I have done it myself and I can assure you it can be challenging on a marriage. I was very fortunate. My wife accepted the life early and put as much into the farm as I did. We have failed more than once and, even after 42 years don't have much except each other and some dandy kids.
As far as your logging and farming together....you have to decide whether you can do both well or both half-arsed. I did a job for years while farming and began to get so tired I was doing neither well. I chose the job for several years and was blessed by a chance to come back to the farm even though I was well "past my prime".
I don't know if anyone of us can answer your question. I do know you have made some pretty sound plans and judgments since I've followed your posts. Is it a coincidence you are now questioning your ability to pull it off at the same time you are announcing your wedding? IMHO you need to talk not so much with us but with your mate to see if you can do it....oh yeah....a good talk with the Lord and some quiet time with Him will help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tjim. We have been engaged since February. She supports me, believes in me, and will help and work hard. Our dreams may be slightly different, but I trust God that it will work out. I can certainly keep going for now, plus it is better to expand slower than what I was originally planning. Better to get as close to perfection as possible with what I am doing. I can add a little more acreage, and expand my hog operation. With some bigger equipment, I will be able to get more work done in less time, which will help a lot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
have you ever considered working out on another farm, if there are any around? perhaps a large dairy, cattle or crop operation? you would get the additional income you need at this time and probably learn some more about farming at the same time. just a thought, its what i do

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A piece of ground right next to me is available for me to lease. I have first chance. It is 320 acres total, at least 160 of that is farmable, the rest is timber with grassy areas, enough to pasture 30 head over the summer. Lease is $3,500 a year for the whole thing.
Is 200 acres enough to be able to make a sort of living in any of your opinions.
My family owns 200 acres, 160 being valuable timber, so I have that as well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would say so. As long as you keep your expenses in check and maybe grab some off farm work when you can. We farm 5000 acres and have lost control of expenses and time managment. All our income goes into machinery, interest and inputs. Steer clear of that sort of scenario and you will be fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If it's $3500 for the whole thing, that's pretty good...er...great rent. Even at 160 farmable that's only a little more than $20 per acre. Unheard of around here. Even scrubby ground goes for at least $100/acre. Don't know what the small print reads but you oughta be able to make some decent money on that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would certainly like to be self employed in farming, and a lot of things in its favor are falling in my lap. I am thinking about logging through the winter, then try self-employment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
have you ever considered working out on another farm, if there are any around? perhaps a large dairy, cattle or crop operation? you would get the additional income you need at this time and probably learn some more about farming at the same time. just a thought, its what i do
How do you make that work? I've thought about doing that, but I always figured that the times I'd most need to be on my own farm are the times I couldn't get away from the other farm.

Right now I work in town and farm a little with my dad. I'd love to stay on the farm (either my own, or helping a neighbor) if I could figure out how to make the time work out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts