The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, new here.

Thought I'd share my newly finished project.

Out here in California rice very few of us run pull behind grain carts. We have very cramped conditions because we have far too many individual checks and borders where we do tight turns and lots of backing up in narrow paths, not to mention we find ourselves in very muddy conditions often.

I built this rig a couple of years ago.

It has an International 4160 stretched tractor fram
Volvo truck suspension
Rockwell PS115 planetary axles
4x4
4xsteering
Rockwell T case
Allison 643 auto
Cummins B series 5.9L set at 250HP
1985 Peterbilt 359 Cab/hood
150 sack grain tank

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots?;)
No idea.:confused:
About 10 cubes?;)
Rice goes by sacks, not bushels. It holds roughly 17,500lbs of corn. However many bushels that is, I don't know.

That may sound small to you guys with these monster grain carts, but I only have a 9610 and the bankout can make a round trip in usually under 5 minutes. It's fast, thanks partially to the Allison.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Indeed!:)
Power with a 5.9 at 250 and an Allison 643?
Hope it's geared fairly low.;)
Shoot......

Loaded making 12" ruts through the mud in 4x4, it can still do 10mph. Yes it's geared pretty low. It tops out at about 23-24mph on the road, but my 9610 only does 18.5mph.

The 5.9/Allison is a great combo. The B series is a mean little engine if you get the pump set just right, and the Allison is the only way to go.

A lot of guys used a Cat 3208/Allison when building these. Some of the older one's weren't even turbo'd. I prefer the Cummins B and C series engines, better power I think and better on fuel.

Mine can run around all day long back and forth and only burn 20g of fuel tops, more like 15g for an average day.

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
A lot of guys used a Cat 3208/Allison when building these. Some of the older one's weren't even turbo'd. I prefer the Cummins B and C series engines, better power I think and better on fuel.
And even more important, a 5.9 won't blow up!;)

Allison is always the way to go.:cool:

Looks like you have an excellent rig there, well done.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Is there any reason why you did not put on larger rubber?

Nice job!
Larger rubber? It already has the "larger" rubber. 23.1 26. The older bankouts, up until the 1990's, used 18.4 26 as standard rubber. Plus, the big HD military forklifts that these axles are always sourced from, used a tire roughly the size of an 18.4 26. One would assume that the axles are designed for roughly a tire that size. The monster truck guys use the same axle and run huge rubber, but they could care less, they just break everything anyway. We are trying to get this stuff to last thousands of hours, obviously, and replacement parts for these axles are incredibly difficult to find, and costly.

The only other option really is 28L 26's. But, those are really expensive tires compared to a 23.1, and the width of them is harder on king pins, and smashes more straw.

We usually burn our straw in the spring to get rid of it, so the less we smash down against the wet soil, the cleaner the burn is leaving less residue for tillage time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now only if you could make one where you have tank in front. Cab up and behind off to right. Easy to see for filling tank full and even easier filling semis when looking from above. Lol. Nice work.
We actually joked about that when getting ready to put the cab on the frame. In reality, what you said makes a lot of since, and would save a LOT of rubber necking, but...... you'd feel like you're driving a garbage barge or something. lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Looks beautiful. I guess this machine can hold 1 hop (bin full) 300 bushels and then shuttles it back to the yard! I would assume that you must always be dealing in very wet conditions where you need to float over the surface without sinking into the paddy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.