The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't run a red combine since 2388's so I have been out of the loop as far as 10 and 20 series are concerned, I'm curious what advantages you guys see the 7120 having over a 9770. I'm not interested in resale value, dealer support, or reliability. What I would like to know is what machine specific areas you think the 7120 is better than a 9770 (or deficient) in wheat, barley, canola, lentils and beans. Not looking for a color war just opinions on why you run the gear you do and where you think it outshines the opposition. Hopefully there are some of you on here that have firsthand experience running both. I know the JD powercast chopper will spread a genuine 40' but what about the magnacut chopper? Interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
One feature that could be an advantage of disadvantage depending on how you view it is the drive system on the 7120. The rotor and feeder house are run by CVT's and have the ability to reverse. Also the SLS system is simpler IMO. If you are running a stripper head the CVT feederhouse/header drive can handle more HP, I think I read somewhere that it is rated for 150+ hp. I haven't heard of any issues with the CVT's so I would put them in the plus category. I like the cab better on the Case, it is very roomy and quite. The unloading drive has more wrap on the sprockets and a oiled gearbox instead of the open sprockets that are noisy. I've only snooped around on the 10/20 series, and I own a 2188 and 2388. I've also run my neighbors 9660, which is most of my Deere experience.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ran a 8120 beside a 9870 all fall. This is what I noticed.

8120 vs Deere:
Cab is quieter, visibility is better (small corner post), pro 600 is much easier to see on Case machine. Hopper extensions, even with crary extensions are much easier to fold down on case. Self leveling shoe is awesome on case. In dry conditions where the straw is breaking up to dust, the case is more capacity than the deere (bigger shoe). If you bale straw, you can drop the straw and still spread the chaff with case. Much easier to change transmission gears in the case, vs the gear shift lever in the deere. Electric park brake is also nice in Case. Easy to clean cab window in case because it tips in to the cab. Rotor reverses on case, but it also seems to plug much easier than the deere.

Deere 9870 vs case:
Much more available power in the deere. It performs better than the case in very tough straw. Straw chopper is better in the deere. It chops finer and works very well in tough straw. The case magna cut chopper is very good, but it really sucks up the power. Deere unloads the grain tank way faster. Case is fast on the top 1/3 of the tank, but really slows down as the tank gets to 1/2 full. Deere seems to unload at full speed all the way to the bottom. Unloading auger seems to be slightly longer on the deere than the case, and comes ahead a little bit more, so is easier to see when unloading. Wear on the threshing elements seems to be much less on the deere than the case at the end of the season. Feeder chain seems to be better in the deere. Had more than one fail on the case. If threshing conditions are somewhat tough (so you are not overloading the shoe) the deere seems to have slightly more capacity than the case. Wiring harness seems to be better on the deere.

Overall, between the 2 machines, if the case could have as good an unloading auger as the deere, then the case would be the clear winner in my opinion. Today, I would call it a dead heat.

·
Registered
998 Posts
7120 v's 9770

30 more horse power :D

.91m2 more cleaning area :D

Larger seperation area :D

Concaves or modules are a lot easier to remove / replace - no need for hard thresh kits or different seperation set-ups for most crops in most conditions :D

Self levelling cleaning system standard :D

CVT rotor drive with reverser :D

Less drive components - chains / belts / grease points :D

Less wear points with transition cone compared to F.A.S.T system :D

15 bushel larger grain tank :D

3.2 bushel Case IH to John Deere 3.3 bushel - JD .1 of a bushel faster compared to 15 bushel more capacity - of course it would feel they take longer to unload :p

Headland system to slow hydraulic driven fan down on turns to limit grain loss :D

One console with all the information you need at your finger tips :)

Extenda Wear threshing, seperating and unloading components - not sure on Deere :confused:

These are a few things off the top of my head. Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
They are a totally different class of machine with their drive system and probably are a little more expensive at list.

A more accurate comparison can be made between a 7088 and a 9770 (both belt drive) - but hp, seperation and cleaning systems are speced larger on the 7088.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran a 8120 beside a 9870 all fall. This is what I noticed.

8120 vs Deere:
Cab is quieter, visibility is better (small corner post), pro 600 is much easier to see on Case machine. Hopper extensions, even with crary extensions are much easier to fold down on case. Self leveling shoe is awesome on case. In dry conditions where the straw is breaking up to dust, the case is more capacity than the deere (bigger shoe). If you bale straw, you can drop the straw and still spread the chaff with case. Much easier to change transmission gears in the case, vs the gear shift lever in the deere. Electric park brake is also nice in Case. Easy to clean cab window in case because it tips in to the cab. Rotor reverses on case, but it also seems to plug much easier than the deere.

Deere 9870 vs case:
Much more available power in the deere. It performs better than the case in very tough straw. Straw chopper is better in the deere. It chops finer and works very well in tough straw. The case magna cut chopper is very good, but it really sucks up the power. Deere unloads the grain tank way faster. Case is fast on the top 1/3 of the tank, but really slows down as the tank gets to 1/2 full. Deere seems to unload at full speed all the way to the bottom. Unloading auger seems to be slightly longer on the deere than the case, and comes ahead a little bit more, so is easier to see when unloading. Wear on the threshing elements seems to be much less on the deere than the case at the end of the season. Feeder chain seems to be better in the deere. Had more than one fail on the case. If threshing conditions are somewhat tough (so you are not overloading the shoe) the deere seems to have slightly more capacity than the case. Wiring harness seems to be better on the deere.

Overall, between the 2 machines, if the case could have as good an unloading auger as the deere, then the case would be the clear winner in my opinion. Today, I would call it a dead heat.
Great post bud, that's exactly the sort of thing i'm after. Interesting observations regarding the unloading rates.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i would have to agree with caseihaxialflow with this i am a owner operator of the 8120 and preveious 8010 and have drove the deeres.
I would like to add the 120k prices diff on the deere compared to the 7120 dont know what your dealers are like where you are. this was last year as well.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7120 v's 9770

30 more horse power :D

.91m2 more cleaning area :D

Larger seperation area :D

Concaves or modules are a lot easier to remove / replace - no need for hard thresh kits or different seperation set-ups for most crops in most conditions :D

Self levelling cleaning system standard :D

CVT rotor drive with reverser :D

Less drive components - chains / belts / grease points :D

Less wear points with transition cone compared to F.A.S.T system :D

15 bushel larger grain tank :D

3.2 bushel Case IH to John Deere 3.3 bushel - JD .1 of a bushel faster compared to 15 bushel more capacity - of course it would feel they take longer to unload :p

Headland system to slow hydraulic driven fan down on turns to limit grain loss :D

One console with all the information you need at your finger tips :)

Extenda Wear threshing, seperating and unloading components - not sure on Deere :confused:

These are a few things off the top of my head. Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
They are a totally different class of machine with their drive system and probably are a little more expensive at list.

A more accurate comparison can be made between a 7088 and a 9770 (both belt drive) - but hp, seperation and cleaning systems are speced larger on the 7088.
No offence but i can read a brochure to, what are the real world benefits of this? I know the 7120 has more cleaning area on paper but where is the extra area coming from? Is it wider than the 9770? Can it be effectivly used? The 9870 has .51m2 more cleaning area than the 9770 on paper but all of that comes from the pre cleaner and has little real world value. I have no use for the SLS so not fussed on the the merits of either system. As far as the sep area i thought they both ran 30" rotors, is the 7120 longer? I can't seem to find the length of the 7120 anywhere.

The hp is an interesting one, both 9L motors and both rated at 360 hp, both have 25 hp power boosts but the 7120 also claims a horsepower rise of 30 hp in addition to the power boost. What's the difference between a power boost and a hp rise? I'm a bit confused here as the 6088 and 8120 say they have a hp rise only but the 7088 and 7120 claim a hp rise and a power boost:confused:

The CVT drive is an undoubted benefit but my only question on that would be the power required to drive it, would it take any more power than a belt?

Right now for me the deere cab and control layout is ahead of the case simply because it's what i know so i'm trying to put the cab aside and focus on the machine itself. The cab is one of those things that you'd get used to on either brand with some time in the seat.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
7120Case IH Rotor Length = 102.8"
9770 John Deere Rotor Length = 123"

John Deere - Helpful links Edit - I guess JD won't let that link be posted, it is on the JD website.

http://comparison.caseih.com/display.php?SID=Q2FzZUlIU2l0ZQ==

Those are the links to each manufacturers comparisons of the two machines.

How does Case IH arrive at a total cleaning area of 8,370 sq in? I can add and the numbers (precleaner area, chaffer area and seive area) only equal 6,944 sq in for the CIH. Very comparable to Deeres 6,964 sq in.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7120Case IH Rotor Length = 102.8"
9770 John Deere Rotor Length = 123"

John Deere - Helpful links Edit - I guess JD won't let that link be posted, it is on the JD website.

http://comparison.caseih.com/display.php?SID=Q2FzZUlIU2l0ZQ==

Those are the links to each manufacturers comparisons of the two machines.

How does Case IH arrive at a total cleaning area of 8,370 sq in? I can add and the numbers (precleaner area, chaffer area and seive area) only equal 6,944 sq in for the CIH. Very comparable to Deeres 6,964 sq in.
I couldn't find the deere one but i had a bit of a look at the case comparison and i see what you mean about the cleaning area. The 7120 has a slighlty bigger pre cleaner and chaffer and the 9770 a bigger sieve but overall close enough to the same but yeah i'd like to know where the extra cleaning area comes from. The sep area also has me a bit miffed, they list the 7120 as having more overal seperating area but it has a shorter rotor, shorter cage and less concave area:confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have to agree with bud, we put a Case 8120 in the same field as our John Deere 9870 both with 12 row 30 inch chopping corn heads and we were in 230 to 240 bushel corn field with hills. The 8120 was good on power until we started to unload on the go and then the 9870 would walk right by it and the 8120 definetly unloads slower and its more than just .1 bushel per second because its the first thing my cart drivers noticed. The Case 8120 had more grain handling compacity as far cleaning area goes, the cab was very nice and roomy and I thought overall the 8120 had a very simple design and that I really like. I would have to say from what we seen 8120 vs 9870 is a dead tie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Everyone says the case unloads slower than the deere or is it that your putting more in the tank faster than the deere? Any comments?

·
Registered
657 Posts
not trying to bash deere as they make good machines also but you wanted to know the good differences. 1 would be the standard cvt drive on the 7120 you dont have to worry about your header belt slipping or your rotor belt. 2 would be the standard self leveling seives which is very nice to have when turning on the ends all the grain does not go to one side and overload seives or on hillsides the seives stay level. that is one problem we had when we ran deeres it would all go out the back as you overloaded one side of the seives. 3 would be if ever thinking of going with tracks they are available right through your dealer the caseih tracks do not effect your road speed which no other company offers other than caseih. the cab on the 7120 is quieter we ran both and lke the red cab over the others. as far as everyone saying the deere unloads so much faster i dont know where they are coming from if you have your slides adjusted properly which is easy to do the red one will dump as fast as you want it to. i am not trying to start a color war but we ran green combines for many years and i always said we would never go red but after running one one now for three years it would be hard for me to ever go back. one major factor for you to consider though in buying a new machine would be your dealer service if deere has good service in your area and caseih does not that may be a factor where i would buy. you can have the best machine in the world but if your dealer network sucks it will give you a bad taste about the machine itself. lets face it all machines no matter what color will break down and need service so your dealer support should be a factor on which color you buy. we are not one of these bleed a certain color kind of people we buy what we feel is the best machine for the job we want to do and in our opinion the red machines are very nice machines. good luck on which ever brand you go with i hope it gives you good service for many years. have a nice day

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Everyone says the case unloads slower than the deere or is it that your putting more in the tank faster than the deere? Any comments?

I only harvest small grains. Going round for round on a big wheat field, the cart scaled loads all day. Some rounds the deere put more grain in the cart and some rounds the case put more grain in the cart. Usually the difference was less than 600 lbs, which can be easily explained by crop variation, how fast cart go to second combine, etc.

On time, it was always 25% longer to unload the case. Slides were up on the case, it is just much slower unloading once the tank gets to 1/2 full.

Perhaps on corn there is not as much difference in unloading auger speed between the 2 combines.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cant comment about the 7120 Case as I have never ran one. But I can say that the 9770 is a great machine. Its seperating capacity is very well matched their hp. Grain tank unloading rate is fantastic. Servicing is a breeze [big improvment over 50series]. Good cab layout. Overall I think they are a well refined machine with great performance and reliabilty in the field.

There is both advantages and disadvantages with the belt vs cvt argument. Belt system is simple, easy to service, reliable. I think at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

"8010" has some great points regarding the dealer service.

Hope you find the combine that best suits you:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I couldn't find the deere one but i had a bit of a look at the case comparison and i see what you mean about the cleaning area. The 7120 has a slighlty bigger pre cleaner and chaffer and the 9770 a bigger sieve but overall close enough to the same but yeah i'd like to know where the extra cleaning area comes from. The sep area also has me a bit miffed, they list the 7120 as having more overal seperating area but it has a shorter rotor, shorter cage and less concave area:confused:
I could be wrong but i think on the 7120 they count the air/ areas inbetween the chaffer and lower sieve. I know it sound goofy but that what i read.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Plus u can hear yourself think when ur unloading a red machine. I unloaded my uncles green machine last fall and I thought something was broke lol

·
Registered
929 Posts
Its slower. From what I have seen running a 9770 and a 7120 side by side its just plain slower. I think part of that, if not most, is the fact that the CIH machines have the auger a lot higher up in the air. The Deere has a pretty flat unload auger. Which is good for unloading faster... not so good for clearance in rolling ground. I know my neighbors who switched from a 2388 to a 9770 in the fall of 09' tore the unload boot off the 9770 in the first week or so. Can't imagine its much different then a 2388 though.

The deere seemed to unload at a pretty steady pace the whole hopper too. The Case IH machines seem to slow down more towards the bottom of the tank, and wet corn REALLY slowed my 7120's unload down. But I would say that on a slight sidehill with the cart below the combine, my 7120 seemed to unload just as fast as the Deere.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
So would a slight increase or decrease in sprocket sizes help to speed up unloading or are the speeds maxed out? Has anybody tried this?

Don't know how fast ours unloads, just know it is faster then our 2588, but not as fast as the 9895 MF demo we had. Now that thing would unload grain!

I don't really know what this facisination of unloading speed is, as long as your dumping on the go, does it really matter at the end of the day? Must be a corn thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts