The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so much government regulations on carbon taxes lately, One silent but equally important subject is farmers selling their own production of carbon credits. Apparently if you get approval, you can sell your overage to other companies. I have also heard the word "carbon offset"s used in determining carbon credits. Our crops use up a lot of co2 and create a lot of o2 so we should get paid accordingly. Its unfortunate that most people dont realize how important our crops are for our climate. Any body look into this topic?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I hear what you are saying; however, I really hope there is no monetary opportunity for us in carbon sequestration.
Yes we are paying outrageous amounts of carbon tax that just keeps getting passed down to us.
But I would rather see the entire carbon currency crap just be demolished.
My fear is that if we as producers get more tangled up in both sides of the carbon "economy", it will be harder to make it all go away.

·
Registered
522 Posts
they are talking they country should develop and sustain renewable environmentally friendly resources
WHAT THE F##K HAVE WE AS FARMERS BEEN DOING. Nothing to develop or research, we have been doing it for years for free our resource is renewable. The only thing being depleted is the farmers

·
Registered
472 Posts
you let an idiot do your thinking you're gonna get dumb ideas..... Canada is pretty much the poster child for that!

the scary thing about carbon credits to me is that much like we are finding with forests that are not allowed to regenerate, there will be a point that the prairie soils are no longer net storing carbon either. we are a long way off from that, but its out there - all we are doing right now is trying to get back to the equilibrium that these soils were at in 1900. what about tillage after a year full of ruts, a hail event or a weed wreck? how about nitrous oxide emmissions? how will increased fertilizer prices from PM featherbrain's carbon taxes affect out ability to store carbon if we start cutting back on rates? its all just dumb.

its not that carbon emissions shouldn't be reduced, they are certainly behind some of the more erratic weather events but i don't think that the world is ever going to end over them either. we have been a lot warmer than currently within the last 1000 years and the doomsday scenarios only happened when things started to cool off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts