The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used truck with a 13,200lb front axle and 46,000lb rears, 18sp with 3.91 ratio. 560hp. 3/8” frame thickness. 230” wheelbase with 58” sleeper. Setback front axle. There is still 7-8’ clearance behind the sleeper to the fifth wheel.
Truck was spec’d for 100% highway tanker hauling.
Can anyone advise if the 13k front axle will be ok for farm use and gravel roads? Frame thickness ok?
I would like to do some contract hauling (grain and flat deck) in the off season so want a decent truck. I know this will be nice on the highway.
My truck experience is with a heavy twinsteer tridrive picker so I have no reference for tractor units.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Most trucks have a 12k front. So 13k is no problem.

I’d take that spec of truck anyday on the farm and not be afraid to pull super B with it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
That truck will be heavy with 13k front axle and 3/8 frame. Depending on engine weight I’m guessing your pushing 10k tractor weight. Most custom haulers want at truck at 8900-9100kg if possible

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The build spec sheet shows Estimated Truck Weight at 8701kg. I assume that is dry weight. But add the 250 Gal of fuel (1500lbs) and rigging and will be over 10k for sure.

Line item says:
10-3/4” steel rails to 354”
3/8” rail thickness

Not really sure what that means.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
354" is the length of frame, 10-3/4" is the frame rail height and it's all 3/8 of an inch thick.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I could easily be off on this but whatever observations of trucks I've looked at and noted the frame thickness, the 5/16 frame had the 40 rears and not to say 3/8 frames and 40's are not mated up but I've got three trucks here of various vintages with 44/46 rears and all have 3/8 frames and walking around Ritchie Bros looking at the heavier spec trucks made to actually handle/pull a load, they have 3/8 frames. Again could be off on my thinking as its not as if I've seen line order sheets to see the combinations but I have an inkling that 46 diffs are going to come with a 3/8 frame simply because the frame and diff size is there for a reason. I have seen a friends truck that has the 5/16 frame and how that particular air suspension sits under the frame, its rolled the lower rail of the frame some from the stress, the frame just couldn't handle what a farm situation and our lovely roads can dish out.

Gear ratio wise, I see a lot of 3.91 spec'ed trucks in later years and comments about newer engines being able to run slower, its about getting better fuel mileage for sure vs what had been and probably still is also the popular 4.10 spec for Super B use. Does this truck have the 11R-24.5 then all the way around and also on the steer or do they have slightly larger steer tires.

Can't really comment on the wheel base with the set back and the sleeper size and what that would look like if lets say you wanted to put a headache rack on for hanging chains and boomers ( for running a flat deck ), just something to think about and measure for and know that this unit can be rigged up like that and still give you the room you need for turning. I am only guessing that due to the set back axle you probably wouldn't have to slide the plate very far ahead of center to get max weight on the steer axle.

To me it sounds like a good unit on paper, then again I don't custom haul and am not so worried about packing a bit extra weight penalty that gives me a tougher truck vs a unit that is light as a feather and asking possibly too much of it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking for a 244” WB but shopping used limits you.
For hauling hay here you are allowed 2m forward projection from the kingpin, so 6.5’. You won’t get 3 full size bales on the bottom row of an 11’ neck deck but should be able to get that extra forward bale on the top row with a proper rack built.
Cummins X15 scares me a bit.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would pull the vin number on the truck go to a shop and let them run it to see what work has been done and what type of warranty is still on the truck I just worry about the newer trucks I have heard they spend a lot of time in the shop for electrical problems

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The problem with shopping for a ( before such and such year ) truck is that they are getting older and older all the time and more worn out and not that its not a viable option but typically more and more has to be poured into the money pit called a truck to bring it back to a serviceable dependable unit, its just the way it is as they don't last forever. Certainly one could stumble across a good older unit that was not used as much and well taken care of but those chances and it being the right spec normally does not fall into ones lap.

Also it would depend on the type of customer you would be hauling for, certainly if you were under a company name that did all the dispatching as its my understanding that some of those companies don't want older trucks driving around with their name on it but that may not be an issue for your planned situation.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the truck was a repo, being sold by the finance company, and is the reason for the low mileage.
Tare sticker on cab says 8900kg.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have a 2005 Pete 379L with 730,000 original km for sale. C15 cat. 18 spd. Regular 40’s, no locks. 3.36. 24.5 almost new tires. All polished and safetied ready to go.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
A single truck owner/operator financially emissioned to death?

I would say he must have been on pretty shaky ground before the emissions did him in to lose it so quick. That new of truck he only had to make a hand full of payments in that amount of time.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I would guess ( and yes get shop service records and warranty work done for the truck ) that the oil economy struggles that are out there did him in. I don't have a great handle on the whole picture but I think some sectors are laying off people they can do without and also I know its been said before about some hauls that get bidded lower and lower until it makes no sense to even turn the key as the general expenses are more then what the income from the haul route is paying. When things go south then there are units for sale that were a repo or maybe a early lease return etc if they allow that.

I am really surprised at the 8900kg, maybe the sleeper and tires are filled with helium !. I'd take the truck across a scale to get steer and drive axle weights, measure the fuel the best you can in the tanks and calculate full up weight.

·
Super Moderator
2,642 Posts
I would say he must have been on pretty shaky ground before the emissions did him in to lose it so quick. That new of truck he only had to make a hand full of payments in that amount of time.
Just a question/suggestion, it would be doable and I know it has happened if only the pain was further extended.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Most truckers owe more money on there trucks then there worth. And how many truckers do you know that have 30-50k sitting around for engine work or power train work??? The only guys making any money with trucks own fleets of them.

No way would I try to buy a truck with 3/8in frame. It’s old school thinking that you need 46s to pull super B. I don’t know one truck company that has broken a 40 rear end pulling grain trailers or hauling hay.

Super 40s gives you big crown and pinion gears without the weight and when is the last time you have heard of someone breaking a regular frame or cracking it?

Almost all the newer trucks are torque limited under 20-30km/hr so you don’t wreck the driveline

A 2015 truck isn’t new anymore and the emissions could possibly stop needing def fluid indefinitely if the right guy plugged his lap top in.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Most truckers owe more money on there trucks then there worth. And how many truckers do you know that have 30-50k sitting around for engine work or power train work??? The only guys making any money with trucks own fleets of them.

The results of cheap and easy credit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts