The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currenty running a mid 90s kenworth 475 hp 18 speed. Only pulling tandem grain trailer so I don't need big HP. Would like to get into mid 2000s before def. Saw some go at RB sale in Saskatoon for what seemed like a pretty good deal. Little worried about buying at RB though. Is it just a roll of the dice when you buy at one of there auctions? Any brands to stay away from? Looks like most run Cat or Cummins. Or is it better to go to dealer? Don't want so spend more then $40-$50K.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why would be any diff at rbauction vs any other auction? Sometimes the farm dispersals are in there. Any truck is a gamble, but i know they always give you the owners name to call if buying there. on a diff note, we have bought 2 from dean at djtruck sales down in estevan. Great guy, 306 421 8952. Deals in mostly hi end nice trucks but will get you what you want.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
look hard at a Volvo buddie of mine brought a ih hes has a mack too rode in my Volvo as his where been fixed so helped him out he said next truck will be Volvo couldn't believe power and ride and so quieter compared to the mack and ih

also lot better than most on fuel

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Why are Volvo cheaper then others? Quality? Or just not as popular of truck in resale market.
I would say popularity. I recently bought a 2 year old Mack which is essentially the Excact same truck as a Volvo besides the cab. Compared to a similar brand new mack I paid $90,000 less. The first owner took quite a loss for 2 years and 200 thousand km's. Compared to a used Pete the same year and spec by with 350km's on it I saved over 35 grand. This was my experince but I think a Volvo is even worse for resale value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would stay away from a Vovlo, their electrical is always causing problems. Any truck 2003 and older will not have any emissions on the motor, 2004 if it has a cat I believe. I would be looking for a 2003 and older with either a cummins or a Detroit.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Please tell what the issues were with the Detroit. I find this post very interesting as I was under the understanding that Detroit was a good engine.
We have several Columbian with 14l and promptly deleted egr and vgt, those are the root of all their problems. Interior quality and wind noise is horrific on the colombias, but they are about 2k lighter to a similar volvo if being legal and maximizing payload is important. I would drive my volvo instead any day of the week, my wife can't even tell I'm driving when she calls vs not being able to hear each other in the Colombias. They aren't a bad truck, just rattle more and the dash plastic is crap. If you buy an 03 and up columbia with the detroit spend the extra 2k and shed the hassles of egr and vgt. Erich at ss60pd.com will set you up with hp, mpg and reliability. I personally bought a 2000 vnm64 with just over a mil on the odo and other then some of the cheesy cabin lights everything works great and not rattles or whistling. Have also driven kW and ridden in Petes and they offer nothing on comfort or quite on the volvo, they just look better.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 12.7 L litre Detroit DDEC 3 is the motor u want -

You are on drugs if your comparing Pete's/KW to a fyckin Volvo -
Seriously - a Volvo -
Ill haul with horse and buggy before I get in one of those again -

Gimme a 379 or a W900 ,

fuc I'd take my old 80's R600 bulldog over a Volvo-

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts

Seriously - a Volvo -

Gimme a 379 or a W900 ,

Tell us how you really feel about a Volvo..

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

Seriously - a Volvo -

Gimme a 379 or a W900 ,

Nothing wrong with a ddec IV. I'm glad you like your cramped up w900 and your over hyped 379, you are right they don't even compare to a volvo. Ironically you mention an old Mack and they are now a sister company to volvo. If all you've been in is a W series Volvo then you have every reason to hate them, try one of the V series trucks, if you still don't like them then good for me ;). I'm glad most guys don't like them as I can get them for less money. Interestingly enough where I bought mine in MN I saw way more Volvos then all of the others combined, also mostly red combines. Thinking the Scandinavian background in the area has a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It was a sad day when Mack sold out too Volvo -

Mack trucks built there reputations by being rock solid
Old R models are tough as they get- stood test of time and theres still a lot of beauties pounding the gravel overloaded camel backs pouring coal every shift... fuc,

- they are in no fucn way a sister because Volvo now owns them

Like saying Jenna jamieson and queen latifa were sisters - give ure head a shake !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.