The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a long winter, and people have pretty much delt with other issues. So I say (wether it be here or somewhere else) let AGCO know you appreciate the SUPER 7. Its what we've wanted for years and its here. Tell your delaers, write a letter, tell you rep, heck I don't care if you make a commercial. Let them know you are happy.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank them for a product that has seen limited field time and you have yet to run? Maybe you could send them a downpayment with your thank you. The A85 was supposed to be a revolutionary machine and at best has been a dud. When it proves itself in the field with performance and reliability, then send the thank you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lookingglass Must you write negative comments on every post? For your information Agco has been testing this machine for a couple of years now. I would not say that the A85 was a dud, it is a very large capacity combine, it has to much threshing area. It is hard to get people that are running the transverse to go with the axial design. I can't stand the axial design because of having to turn power 90 degrees the engine should be mounted the other way. I have been around Case and Deere and have not been very impressed. The machines are getting to big and hard to get around on. This is why I am excited about this machine because it will be simple and small, so it is not hard to get around on. Remember this the next time you are changing your machine over from wheat to beans to corn and keep your negative comments to yourself.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wheat around here is known as poverty grass. Hasn't been on our farm in 20 years. Switching red/green or silver machines between corn and beans is pretty simple irregardless of color. My point was AGCO's in house combine designs have not been very good to date. They basically bought the R series and the Massey design and to date all they have done is warmed them over. The A series was AGCO's first attempt and a new albeit somewhat borrowed technolgy from White. There is not enough info out there for me to proclaim this new machine as a success. When their is I will pay it the respect it deserves.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The R2 series was introduced on 1990 the same year AGCO was founded. The 2 series was an improved version of the R0 series machine. These were designed by the folks at Allis Chalmers and Duetz Allis. AGCO had little to do with them. They have been dying to kill the silver machine for years. Which is why you saw all the major improvemnts go to Massey the past few years. Then they introduced the warmed over WHite rotor as the A series and painted in silver in hopes of luring the silver guys away to the axial design. Finally after realizing that the traverse rotor is still fairly popular they have again warmed over an existing design. Is it still a good design? Absolutely. We had run the R series in various models all the way through this past fall. I have said 100's of times it is not so much the product that is failing(though pretty much whatever AGCO has designed has failed ie AGCOstar, A series combines)it is the dealer network that needs the overhaul. If you don't have qualified dealers who can adequately supply parts and provide timely service, it really doesn't matter what you sell. You are proclaiming the greatness of this machine that has probably spent very few hours, if any in a corn or soybean field. I say give it time, when it proves it's great then we can say it's great. I was tired of horrible service, unreliable parts supply along with a dated machine in terms of capacity so we switched colors. I'd gladly consider a Gleaner again once they address the issues I have mentioned. The new machine has the potential to address one of the 3 issues I have.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Funny how folks read only they want. I have said numerous times that the R series combine is a very good machine. White planters and Sunflower tillage are also very competent machines. Even the new AGCo tractors(or Massey) are very comparable to the competition. Maybe the Super 7 is much better than the current R6 series. I argue it won't matter until they can get dealer in the corn belt to supply these machine, service them and supply parts. Until they fix that they could have a machine half the price and equal in productivity to a Deere or Case and still not sell it based on the current dealer network. Yes in Kansas the dealers seem to be better, but I dont live there so it doesnt matter to me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Lookingglass, I live in the corn belt too, I'll break this to you, there are dealers with excellent parts and service. I'm seeing more silver combines in the area every year.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thank AGCO SELECTIVELY! Many of the best and brightest at AGCO were responsible for getting this machine to market, not upper management. This appears to be one of the best launches so far for a product, and one that does what is claimed, imagine what could happen to the rest of the company product lines if the shackles were unleashed!

The way things look from the outside, AGCO is beginning to be "Your Agricultural Harvesting Company". With tractors dead and now the hay division collapsing due to the dictators decision to end Hesston and the Orange tractor, a one trick pony company on American soil with Gleaner is their only hope.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wrong. I don't hate AGCO. Their dealer network and service in the majority of the corn belt is a joke. I can't respect a company that doesn't try to improve this. Nor will I do business with them until that changes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You must be in Ohio. I hear there are couple good dealers there. In Illinois they are far and few between. One of the largest, Kuhns actually closed a location. The one in the Lincoln area is probably OK and there is another in the NW part of the state. Gleaners in this area are dissappearing and nearly gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
lookingglass, I am not sure what you are looking for in a dealer. I am in Indiana and dealers are fewer and farther inbetween than green or red dealers. But there are dealers, and good dealers in Indiana and Illinois. You mentioned Kuhn's shutting down a store but they still serve customers out of three very good stores in central Ill. I can also think of AC Macrtney, Flanagan's, Rohlf's, McCulloughs(PJ will take good care of you), Fligingers, and Herschel Johnsons off the top of my head and I'm sure there are other dealers that I am not recalling. I can actually come up with more in Ill than I can in IN.

It takes a large investment to run a good dealership and customers are becoming fewer everyday due to the decreasing number of farmers in America. We all complain when the parts aren't there and you have to drive to Kansas City to get the only such assembly in North America. Or we will complain about the outragous price that accompanies what seems like a rather simple part. I cannot imagine that the dealers are making a fortune otherwise there would be more people trying to establish dealerships. Lets face it, we as farmers are difficult customers to please and I am sure that many of the dealers have to work pretty hard just tring to refrain from telling us to get lost.

You have many dealers in Illinois who have a good product to sell. Sometimes you have to do a little travel or searching to find the dealer who knows combines and is interested in setting them up so that you will be happy with the job that they do. It is pretty hard to find a dealer who has much unsold inventory just sitting on their lot, but that is becoming the case with the entire industry. It is just too much capital tied up doing nothing but costing interest.

I don't know you personally, and I don't mean this as any sort of attack. You seem to be frustrated with Gleaner. I too wish that there were even more dealers providing more competition for my Gleaner bussiness. I somehow think that would bring a higher trade value for my machine and a lower price for the next one. This is a mistruth in my mind as their margins just are not that great to begin with. I expect great parts availability, knowledgable service, and exceptional value. I think that many dealers are trying to provide just that. The truth is that there are dealers for you and me to buy good products at. We need to cut them a little slack and quit getting on message boards to complain whenever something is not convienient. Work with your dealer(s), quit your whining, and they might try to help you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts