The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Afsc... I hope everyone in head office sees this and I hope more farmers do the same, who comes up with these dumb ass ideas that your implementing....

From the day of the claim we were all told this year you want us to leave 10 foot strips for a 1/2 mile long three times on every quater:p:mad: never mind if it from 10 percent to being written off, it had to be done or it would not be adjusted:confused:, sent us faxes to be signed that we did this...:confused:

Have you ever thought of our cost to run back and clean up your mess of test strips and now this year crop downgrade because of your seven week period to have you adjust it:eek:

Then you don't hire enough adjusters and ***** when they are working longer days and charge you for a breakfast, and pay them 43cents a km to drive their vehicle over rough hilly fields, not paying damage to vehicles from tire damage or rocks, but still want your plant counts

Then you give them handhelds gps to record their position while doing claims to make them accountable and threaten possible re inspection...

All other insurance company's I have had to date, allow small 30 by thirty test strips, one third of the field, also adjust in accordingly time, don't Carry gps or threaten their adjusters and pay as much or better for damage with more common sense for counting damage plants, not your text book hail damage ideas

So we decided in our area that we are going to be charging you Afsc for our waisted time and combine expense to clean up your three aces per quater of strips your making us leave, and then the difference from feed durum price to number one durum that the rest of the grain taken off in a timely matter was taken off at.. Maybe we should call it a stupidity Afsc tax...

Works out to 1000$ a quater, and there is lots of quarters...

If things don't change real soon you will not be seeing myself and others using you anymore, you lost me on crop and or about to do the same with hail...

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
You are looking at exactly only 1/2 the picture.
I realize those strips are a PITA however, you seem to have forgotten that crops in small strips deteriorate rapidly
shattering and breaking down much worse than in a general field setting thereby gaining on the entire field.
And to top it all off, you pick the strips!
PITA?
Absolutely!
Overall net cash out of your pocket?
No ******* way!

Count your blessings!:)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ever.... Don just a bunch of crap, I see a divorce in the making...

Strips breaking down more than rest of field.... Where do you come up with that crap!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
We leave 10 foot by 6 foot rectangle chunks on 4 corners if its a quarter. Done that for years with coop hail never a problem. Really down to earth good people including the adjusters. If we're busy combining we let them go check the claims by themselves. We always have a good idea what damage is and they have always got what we thought or more on an adjustment never less. I think they like when the farmer isn't around arguing with them.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have Buttler, farmers, and sask municipal... And like you others said leave a header width, take a picture and all have been great to deal with... And done in a timely matter, My canola municipal said the same, and it's wrote off with a picture.... That easy

Then there is Afsc... All chiefs, no indians

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Simple

I also have Buttler, farmers, and sask municipal... And like you others said leave a header width, take a picture and all have been great to deal with... And done in a timely matter, My canola municipal said the same, and it's wrote off with a picture.... That easy

Then there is Afsc... All chiefs, no indians
If you don't like to deal with them, don't.
No sense banging your head against the wall.
Even though it's like running a CIH combine.;)

Oh, small strips break down due to sun and wind access to them.
Living where you do I can't believe you'd forget wind. ;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
AFSC used to count hangers under 6" high as a loss in doing hail adjustment. My crop is harvested, but the strips left are now 4" high after the snow. When AFSC now comes to adjust my strips that I have 100% loss? Was only 30% before the snow.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
AFSC used to count hangers under 6" high as a loss in doing hail adjustment. My crop is harvested, but the strips left are now 4" high after the snow. When AFSC now comes to adjust my strips that I have 100% loss? Was only 30% before the snow.
Now there's a classic question.:confused:
And example of what I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hail insurance is a business! I spent all day adjusting with SMHI. Needed to register 4 points on every quarter (logged by GPS). Usual arguments encountered. The crop was clearly gone and you wouldn't have had to step out of the vehicle to do the adjustment! Counts were made on every spot!

The usual arguing ensued . . . . ."we count kernel loss not actual kernel damage." So even though kernels left in a head are shriveled up and will blow out when combining, it is not hail damage! What doesn't blow out and clearly immature still constitutes a kernel whether #5 or #1. We don't pay for grade loss!

The usual question arises when doing hanger counts. How high do you usually cut when you combine? I am thinking the best answer for that is I use a stripper header and leave all the straw standing!

Another comment clearly comes up . . . . . "We don't pay for wind damage. If the straw is twisted in any fashion and we can't see the mark clearly where the hail hit the stem, it is the wind that caused it and not the hail that was contained in it."

When it comes to pulses ....they count pods with kernels in them. The adjuster came up with a 65% loss! The wheat alongside was pounded! The usual comments reside. "Lentils are a weed and they regenerate themselves. So is Canola." Even though the hail pounded the slight green Lentil plants and knocked them over in one direction and the plant stopped sucking moisture - that was definitely a lot of the effects of the wind that was with the hail - not the hail itself. So . . . . . if you count the white shrunk kernels left after the main crop was shelled out, you can come up with hail damage of only 65%.

Another comment made during the inspection. . . . . Hail never causes disease or ergot. That is a function of the moisture that came with the hail and so if you see increased disease pressure on a field, you definitely can't link that to Hail! Oh!! I also forget to mention the massive damage that grasshoppers inflict on the hailed fields. "Grasshopper damage is actually a lot more than you think!"

This is the nature of the business. Our business is to find companies who will treat us fairly!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck with that, how is the 1/2 mile long strip going to be any different don Then the patch strip, they will both be down, the adjuster will count heads on the ground off your area combined and then use that as a basis, and look the strips over... just asked that same question yesterday

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I don't think they need 1/2 mile long strips either. A series of 10x10' areas left should be sufficient.

In theory the longer the adjustment strips stay before adjustment the more loss there should be to wind, heads falling off, etc.

In my case the whole crop is less than 6" tall from the heavy snow I got. Seriously doubt it will increase my payout, but is going to make adjusting fun.

One advantage to AFSC is they have deep pockets and everyone will get paid in a year of much above average hail claims. I was involved with private companies a few years ago that had so many claims they were almost bankrupt. I can tell you from experience they adjust much harder than AFSC in those types of years.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Afsc is the administrator for the Feds the way I understand it, they have no pockets at all with hail...

Last few years Afsc has really changed the adjusting in the south, with more amd more red tape, I think they feel everyone is screwing them... Lol

Last year we had a early hail storm, that most people were never paid on, said it was to early, but line company's paid approite damage up front, and a few farmer sued the **** out of them and won, from Afsc stupity

It seams the guys in the office with the least farm experience are calling the shots on something they are clueless about, then burn their adjusters for implementing it

A lot of money lost in the south with over 3000 claims still not adjusted by Afsc and detoerating weekly...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still nothing back from Afsc on bill submitted.... Might have to send a second now with intrest...

Had Smhi out a few weeks back, went threw fields with them and yes they have iPads now that they need to document gps spots and counts....

Also told that their numbers on iPad are negotable after they are done, and could be altered if not agreeable... Don't see nothing wrong with that system and Afsc should learn from it...

If I had to rate Afsc to any of the other 6 company's I had this year it would take last place in most category's... Somewhat sad for our province

1 - 16 of 16 Posts