The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the problem with the air intakes on each side of the machine getting plugged up with straw and chaff?
All the shields are on properly too.
I am cutting in heavy/tall straw conditions and having to clear the intakes at each bin load.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I assume you have the base shielding and a small screen cover right at the fan intakes.

Adding the full side shield helps keep stuff from being sucked directly into the fan and allows for air to be drawn in from the bottom or top side of the shields.

Adding a 10 series front intake cover will keep the intake area over the front axle clean.

I haven't done this to mine but have a customer who has taken out the bottom panel on the belly of the combine just in front of the fans and behind the front axle and had some slots cut in it to help get air in also.

jd

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just take the screens off. I have removed all of mine because of this plugging issue and we run a cart so the machine doesnt get shut down but every 3-4 hrs run time. I even remove the bottom screen as well, yes it does expose the fans but I have never had problems. I usually put them back when in corn or safflower due to the stalks. Youll notice maybe some of the straw leaves entering the grain tank if your bottom screen is open too much most of the time if the fans pick something up in the air stream it will end up in the tailings.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That was always a problem. I think I will try davedan's suggestion of removing the screens this fall. Early soybean leaves are always my biggest problem.

On your 9600 turning off the separator is a poor choice unless you have installed an airflow feederhouse. Otherwise the cylinder will get out of balance from the dirt.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Jeff, the inside of the cylinder bars will become filled with dust as you run the machine. As long as the cylinder is spinning, the dust is evenly distributed. When the cylinder coasts to a stop, all the dirt falls off the bars except for the 2 or 3 bottom bars. Now when you restart the cylinder, the cylinder is heavy on one side. The way to fix this is to bump the engage switch and just barely make the cylinder turn over (it will roll for 5-10 seconds). Do this 3 or 4 times and the rest of the dirt will fall out. Its easier to leave the separator engaged.

The airflow feederhouse almost completely eliminated the dust on the back side of the bars. Its great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bent.......... can you explain a little more what you are refering to when you said turning off the seperator and having the cylinder becoming unbalanced?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts