The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a different truck to work out of. Having tools and parts in the backseat is getting old and having to clean it out every time i need to do something is for the birds. I am going to use the truck as my work truck on everything i do from pulling the skid steer to moving headers to going to get parts. I want to buy a service truck to keep all of my tools, oils, etc. I want to have an air compressor, fuel tank, torches. I will need room in the bed to put a tote of def. I also want to have some room to carry spare parts, nuts, bolts, pins, etc.

The truck is going to be either a Ford f350 or f450, or a dodge 3500 or 4500. Do you guys think i could get by for a little while with a single rear wheel or do I definitely need a dually? also if I go with a dually should i go with a 9' bed or an 11' bed? I am going with a crew cab so we don't have to take two vehicles to the field and can ride together to get lunch and when cleaning up fields. I don't want to get something so big its unusable in most of the stuff I do but at the same time I don't want something too small where I am going to have to run back to the shop anyways.

I would like to hear what y'all have done and any suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would go with a dually 350 or 450 if your getting a crew cab I would go with a 9 ft bed other wise they get pretty long and hard to get around with when in town. I have a 350 dually regular cab and 11 foot bed it works well but wish the cab was larger.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the amount of weight youre talking I would definitely go with a dual wheel truck and with the F450 you'll get 19.5 tires which are pricey to replace but last very well. My company truck is an F550 that is normally weighing around 16,000 with the fiberglass service body and crane setup. You don't realize what everything weighs until you load it up and hit the scales, then it scares you ****less.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Comes down to what percentage of the time you pull. If its 10% then dually is overkill most of the time. I run a 6.7 ram single 2500 and I use it for everything from fuel hauler to 4 hr farm trips to rv puller. I feel the big diesel is overkill 90% of my time. Mileage is 17 hwy no load. Thinking of going to something more economical like 3L diesel(+4500 more than hemi ouch) as long as it would handle the camper once a summer and a 946 tote of roundup in the box. Mileage is supposed to be double. Cost of ownership of these heavy duty trucks is harsh. Mine has 155k on it and repairs are high.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your opinion on a crew cab vs regular cab? I mean I am accustomed to a crew cab but 95% of the time i only have just me or 1 passenger. Its pretty rare that I have more than 2 passengers because thats mostly on personal business. But I still don't want to regret not having a back seat the whole time I have the truck.

I feel the 11' bed will be better as it will give me more room for parts and misc stuff.

What are y'all doing for air compressors? I like Saylor Beall compressors and thought about buying one with a gas engine. But what do y'all like better an engine mount or hydraulic compressor?

How are y'all hooking for your fuel pumps up? I would almost like to get a gas pump for ease and i could use a longer hose this way. I want about a 100 gal fuel tank for permanent use but during busy times it would be nice to have an extra 100 gal tank. is there any way to plumb this up to one pump? do y'all run a fill neck to the aux tank or just reach over the service body?

I don't have much of a need for a generator right now but I want to keep somewhere open for a welder generator mount in the future. Where would you mount the air compressor and then in the future the welder generator?

For tool storage are y'all using the drawer units made for service bodies or just buying a toolbox to put in them?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Look around and ask around at the dealers were they get service trucks. Sometimes you can find nice trucks with compressors and cranes for under $20K. Built in tool boxes. Just put a bulk fuel tank in it. It is worth it. Got my F-550 with 6000lb hyd crane, hyd stablizers, hyd ran compressor, full service bed for $16,000. Doubt I have $20,000 into it over the last 6 years. Needs a few minor things done to it now, but I often get asked what I am having worked on when people look at it. I is better that most of the dealers trucks around here. I did buy it when I was had my own mechanic business.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I agree truck weight will scare you once it's loaded. 450 minimum! Our next ones will be f550 or larger. Thinking about one of these fancy toy/ camper pullers for a chassis. Nice 4 door with air brakes. Will not fit through McDonald s for a sweet tea, but brakes are made to stop the weight you will be carrying. I like the four door for people room and all the "stuff" that I toss from the front seat.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
Why not buy a trailer and set it up?

We bought one used.... huge diesel tank, gas, 3 oil, used oil /w pump. parts and tool storage down the sides, compressor in front. Engine driven welder, mig, and plasma in it. Air hoses all the way around.

Mounted to a 30,000lb tandem dually goosneck trailer we can pull with either a pickup or a semi.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Why not buy a trailer and set it up?

We bought one used.... huge diesel tank, gas, 3 oil, used oil /w pump. parts and tool storage down the sides, compressor in front. Engine driven welder, mig, and plasma in it. Air hoses all the way around.

Mounted to a 30,000lb tandem dually goosneck trailer we can pull with either a pickup or a semi.
Where'd you find a unit like that? That is exactly what I'm looking for. Have enough engines to look after without adding another truck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the issue i have seen with using air to push fuel, is the amount of stored energy and potential for an explosive atmosphere, on the other hand using a diaphram pump works very well and uses minimal air for the volume of fuel move, they are reliable as heck, and available in all kinds of materials and prices, i have 3, one for fuel, one for coolant, and one for oil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the issue i have seen with using air to push fuel, is the amount of s and potential for an explosive atmosphere, on the other hand using a diaphram pump works very well and uses minimal air for the volume of fuel move, they are reliable as heck, and available in all kinds of materials and prices, i have 3, one for fuel, one for coolant, and one for oil.
Could you elaborate on that? Just curious as to gpm and how much air it takes? Looking for a replacement pump on our service truck. Have a 1" hose and a john deere compressorator which puts out about 15.7 cfm

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Tell us what issue you have seen by using air to push fuel out of a tank into machinery . I have a 1000 gallon nh3 and a 350 gal nh3 tank they both use air to move diesel , never a issue .
Air, fuel mixture, scary to a lot of people, some peoples comfort zones are pretty narrow:eek:

The only thing I would probably do is use hydraulic hose to the nozzle and the only thing I would worry about is so much pressure that it might tend to want to blow the nozzle out the hole, could be messy when it runs out but I think it would be sweet but I am not faint of heart, I would assume you are probably regulated on pressure but I think I would tend to push it for all its worth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.