The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a jd 787 tow behind air cart and need some info on setup and charts for extra fine roller. I'm hooked to a 34 ft drill and 6 run single shoot. Pretty new to air seeding so any help or tips would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a book for flexicoil anymore but your first move is to check you have the right sprockets for your width and runs; you will find that information in the book. If you don't get that right the rest won't calibrate properly. I never used a rate chart; I just did a rate weigh check every time .

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2320 predated the extra fine roller, so Webb's in veg just scanned me one page from someone else's book. Typically the extra fine roller displaces about 60% of the volume of the fine roller. (61% for canola) my monitor is so old it can't adjust for the extra fine roller so you just have to figure you're seeding about 60% what the monitor says, assuming you have input the correct numbers. I only figure out my seeding rates mathematically using the charts and product density. However we have used this tank for 21 years.
I would suggest doing a physical check using those steel bins on the back to fine tune your setting for expensive seed like canola.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You don't really have to change the cogs but it can make life easier. You can do some maths & work out the % difference. Then adjust how many times you crank the handle to suit etc
As for the charts & product density I found them pretty much useless. Easy/ cheat way to find the right rate your chasing when you do a manual/ crank test.

Say your chasing 90kg/ha.
You do a crank test, weigh it & for example notch no 23 = 72kg/ha
23 ~72= 0.319444 * 90 = notch no 28.75.
This is generally pretty accurate but I always set it the notch no & check to make sure.
As for the monitor I just change the densityof the product until it reads what the manual test was if your fussy but it makes no difference as long as it's reading a constant figure is all that matters.
Always leave your monitor set on rear air pressure reading. It can tell you when you have a blockage or bins empty if you know what your looking for. Pressure reading will only change if speed changes, rate setting is changed, your master switch is on or off, fan rpm is changed and it will change slightly during the day with the temperature ( air density changes with temp). If your seeding away & everything remains constant & your air pressure reading changes even slightly it generally means something's not right. Hose blocked, fert/ seed bridged, lid not closed, tank empty.
Rear air pressure will show problems in front tank as well.
Hope some of those tips help & you understood what I was getting at??

Oh & don't always trust your bin level sensors they can have a mind of there own at times! Sometimes they may just need to be cleaned sometimes turning the monitor on & off can reset them or sometimes they just need replacing.
On the whole though they are an excellent bin, extremely accurate & very easy to use.
Just thought I would mention a few things to keep an eye out for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a book for flexicoil anymore but your first move is to check you have the right sprockets for your width and runs; you will find that information in the book. If you don't get that right the rest won't calibrate properly. I never used a rate chart; I just did a rate weigh check every time .
Nig you don't like your Jd cart? I was thinking of buying a new vrt one but they seem to be a bit high maintenance or can be a headache kind of thing?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
TC, does your 787 have the small third tank or are you dealing with one of the two main tanks to put through small quantities of ... am guessing canola ?. Regardless of which tank setup you've got I would only say to use a chart as a starting point and then do a crank test as was mentioned. From that point ( referring to canola ) put a small known quantity into the tank such as two or three 50 lb bags , zero the acre meter presuming its been set for the tool width and is accurate, then seed it down but don't run out. Then empty the tank into a large container ( huge plastic bins you can buy at Walmart ) and then pour into pails and weigh it to get the difference between what you put in and what you drained out. I realize its a lot of fiddly work but some units are famous for putting through ether far less or far greater then what a crank test can do. Different seed batches or varieties and the type of coating they put on the seed all seemed to change how they flowed through the roller although in our case we had the third tank and the two small rollers designed just for that tank. Taking some extra steps like this to begin with your new unit will save you cost or headache as its impossible to tell what is going on until its too late by dumping in a bunch of bags and then doing a number of acres and finding you are way out of whack to what was intended to go on per acre.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cart only has the two tanks and no charts for fine and extra fine rollers. Yes I'm going to seed canola. With 11-51-0 fertilizer in the rear tank. Which has the fine roller installed. I can't seem to find the charts anywhere to get my initial settings for what I'm planning on. Also anyone have any recommendations on the damper settings the book says on a single shoot set up to open front tank damper all the way and close the rear to 2 inches

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Our 787 is a tow between so the air flow is reversed but for a tow behind unit the typical flexicoil recommendation I believe is to open the rear most air dampener all the way so another words for your fertilizer tank to allow it to carry the heavy product through, then the front tank have barely cracked open or with canola sometimes closed is best as its so easy to suck canola past a roller with air velocity and the small quantity of canola just drops into the air stream anyway created by the rear tank. Are you sure what you read in the book was for the tow behind and not the tow between unit ?. Once those are set then its a matter of changing the fan speed to get enough air to carry the products to the openers but not too much so that you are blowing seed and fert out so fast that its messing up the depth with seed bounce. We used the hose tie up method they talk about in the book on an outer run and operated the unit seeding while another drove along side the unit with an ATV to observe how far up the seed and fert flew from the tied up hose and tried to keep it just over that minimum 12 inch area. Our unit was just over 40 feet wide and six run and single shoot so with canola and 100 lb of 11-51 we ran the fan around 3000 RPM. Just guessing that would be a good starting point to experiment with for your unit.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Fertilizer needs to go in front tank, set air dampners per book, can you give me density, I have sheets printed off, Scott.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nig you don't like your Jd cart? I was thinking of buying a new vrt one but they seem to be a bit high maintenance or can be a headache kind of thing?
Jd cart is a good machine, generally accurate to a tee but I suspect it may be a bit out on feet this year but today will tell the story. Canola very accurate. The main gripes are the auger and the bin tops. I have modified my bin tops with towers that allow you to level fill the bins. The problem is the basket is set in the bin in such a way that the material can't flow into the corners of the top. The angle of the top is too shallow for the relief of the material. The auger is just a bit difficult to handle. I have a liquid systems kit on mine with the middle tank being liquid. It's a bit small and I would consider swapping someone with a granular only 430 1910 and tow a 7000 l trailed unit.

My bin before this was a 2320, my dad had a 3450 and before that a 1330. The 1330 was the best to use of the lot. I still haven't sown more acres in a day with the bigger bins than I did with the 1330 .

·
Registered
371 Posts
On our old 1720 tank we never had to weigh or calibrate it. Just put density into monitor and theres also a place to 100% for fine roller or 57% for extra fine roller. Then what ever monitor was reading is what you are seeding. Then adjust settings on cart till youre seeding right amount. Always very close

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jd cart is a good machine, generally accurate to a tee but I suspect it may be a bit out on feet this year but today will tell the story. Canola very accurate. The main gripes are the auger and the bin tops. I have modified my bin tops with towers that allow you to level fill the bins. The problem is the basket is set in the bin in such a way that the material can't flow into the corners of the top. The angle of the top is too shallow for the relief of the material. The auger is just a bit difficult to handle. I have a liquid systems kit on mine with the middle tank being liquid. It's a bit small and I would consider swapping someone with a granular only 430 1910 and tow a 7000 l trailed unit.

My bin before this was a 2320, my dad had a 3450 and before that a 1330. The 1330 was the best to use of the lot. I still haven't sown more acres in a day with the bigger bins than I did with the 1330 .
How do you mean bit out on its feet?? You've lost me!!:rolleyes:
You leave the basket out on the seed box to fill? Don't bother with it on the Flexicoil.
Yeah saw your tops on another post somewhere. Which normally runs out first seed or fert? Probably don't need them on both is all I'm thinking to make moving/ setting up auger easier etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts