The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a "how to" place on the net or other source for setting the valves on a 9610 8.1L? Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
530 Posts
Should be the same as any other six cyinder deere offers. Use the firing order method 153/624. Do you know what they need to be set at? I could find out depending on which 8.1 you have. I didnt think the 10s came with the 8.1.

·
Registered
530 Posts
After reviewing my last post I should probably expalin the method I use better

1 5 3 / 6 2 4 Is the firing order for most 6 cyinder inline diesels

You would start out rotating the engine using a bump starter or crank by hand does not matter.
Notice the firing order get a visual on the order #6 is the opposing cylinder to #1, #2 opposes cyl #5 etc.
You must know what valve overlap is and understand what it does and know when it is happenig. The exhaust valve will still be open for a few degrees of engine rotation when the intake valve starts to open to help scavage the exhaust gases using the turbos positive pressure. You can see the valve overlap when watching the rockers while rotating the engine.
Rotate watching for valve overlap on #6 which is the opposing cylinder to #1, you can now set both valve lash clearance on #1
Rotate for valve overlap on cylinder #2 and set valves on #5
Valve overlap on 4 set 3
valve overlap on 1 set 6 Etc, etc.

If your not sure which valve is exhaust or intake just look over the top of the engine to see which valve lines up with the exhaust manifold tubes or ports. Exhaust valves are always the looser setting in other words if you are supposed to set them at say .018" and .026" the intake would be 18 and exhaust 26.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info and help, I'm assuming that it has the 8.1 in it. Its a 98 model, but I can't find on the net if it is for sure. Its got about 1500 engine hours on it and we were just going though it and bring her back up to snuff, new concaves, rasp bars, and a new fine cut chopper from TSR, thought that we would set the valves while we were at it. Again I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
probably 6076 in 98 but the setting method is the same. I thought maybe someone swapped engines at one time. The mehod I sent up will work on all 6 cyl diesels. Ive had good luck using it mainly becaus I can picture the firing order in my head and have no need for manuals, I used to use motrams method out of the deere tech manual but its hard to memorize which valves the set on each turn. After about two engines of the firing order method and youll have it memorized. Good luck. Dont forget to set them cold too. Might want to check your injectors at about 2000 hrs too, low pressure injectors waste fuel. Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
The 10 has a 8.1 and it will be the same as a 7.6* It is easy to to adjust valves, on no. 1, valves 1,2,3,5,7,9 and no 6,* 4,6,8,10,11,12. The bad thing is turning the engine over with out a turning tool, the timing pin can be made easy. There is a hole for the timing pin to go into the flywheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts