The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the first wheat harvest with our R55 and I am looking for some suggestions with settings for wheat harvest. Run a 20 foot head and usually like to stay under 4 mph. Reason I ask is that fall harvest, the book settings seemed rather tight, especially in corn. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
We open rotor until we see unthreshed kernels, then tighten up 1/4". Air wide open. Cylinder fastest setting unless cracking wheat.
Sieves differ a little by variety and conditions. I'm not totally sure where we are this year, but I think bottom is 1/2" and top is 3/4". Someone correct me if I am wrong on the sieves.....

OKFarmer

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We cut some last night with 14% moisture. We had the rotor set at .09 or .10 sometimes up to .11 according to the digital screen in the cab. Rotor speed was at 1000 rpm empty pulling down to 980 - 970 under load. Had the fan all the way up and the top sieve at 3/4" and the bottom at 1/4". Had some chaff and short pieces of straw in grain sample (less than an inch long). no grain on the ground to speak of. Any suggestions to speak of or am I just getting trying to make it too perfect now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Man that is pretty good. You will notice the rotor pulling down to 950 and that is normal. It is full.

I think you could open the bottom sieve a little with no adverse change to your sample. If you can, you should; that means less stuff going in return back to the cylinder, which means more capacity for the cylinder and acc. roles, and shoe.

Also the more open the bottom sieve the more air gets through everything.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts