The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Large wire concaves are not the best for wheat, and I think you'll have to put the wires back in to make them work (assuming you don't have small wires). Keystock grates are also less than ideal; smooth-slotteds are usually what's recommended. What chaffer (top sieve) do you have? 1 1/8in Cloz-slat is recommended for wheat, 1 5/8in is more for corn.

I'd start with the rotor at 980, fan at 1000, and the vanes in Medium, then go from there. Conventional wisdom is to crank the concaves up really tight, but this year we ran them at 3.2 and were very pleased; it just depends on how hard it's threshing. I don't know what to tell you on sieves. We just mess with them until we're happy and don't take the time to measure them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the 1 5/8 chaffer on top. I guess I will just close them down alittle more. The field is about 60 acres. I am thinkin about just cutting the wheat off just below the heads. Carrying the header off the ground six inches or more. then coming back with a windrower and cutting it short for straw. Oh just the very top section of the concave has a 1/4 inch bolt instead of the wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is my first time combining wheat. I have a 90 1680 standard rotor. large wire concaves with every other wire removed. bar grate. I am wondering if this will work in wheat? sieves are also set up for corn and soybeans. I would use my 20ft 1020 flex head to combine the wheat. Might need to make it rigid? If anyone could help me out with general settings that would be great. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts