The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having trouble with my sickle cutting cleanly and was wondering what the upper limit of the shaft speed is on a 930. i have a new sickle in and its just not cutting good at all. my wires have been pulled loose on the shaft sensor for the header so i really dont know how fast its currently turning. in the morning im going to get it fixed so see how fast its turning. the wheat ive been in lately is really light yielding and i want to move on faster, but just cannt get it cut off.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It should be running at 520 rpm no load, to ensure this tension the feeder house lower drive belt to set the lower sheave gap at 1/8", this will get you in the ballpark without having to mess with the sensor.

Also make sure that your backshaft pulley that drives the wobble box is 12" in diamater, you may not have enough knife speed if it's smaller.

Also check your sickle stroke to make sure your box or knifehead is not a problem.

jd

·
Registered
400 Posts
another thing to do is to make sure your knife is adjusted forward within the guards

also, check your guards for wear, even if you have a brand new sickle, if the guards are shot, it still won't cut

·
Registered
400 Posts
the knifeback, or bar that the sections bolt to, should run in the front of the slot in the guards, but not tight

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The way we adjusted our holddowns was to slide a credit card under it and it should be tight & snug pulling it out, but not overly tight but not easily pulled out either.

·
Registered
400 Posts
that leads to a good question,

are we talking about a 930D, 930R or a 930F?

the 930D's use the credit card technique, if not, the hold downs are not adjustable and you have to adjust the wear strips to move the knife forward

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
930r, one other question that is totally off topic, if i may
what is the sensor/monitor wire that goes down the righthand side of the combine just in front of the return auger, where it comes from inside the combine??? i have a monitor wire of some sort that is cut. it runs down the side and goes through the outter wall just infront of the return auger. cannt tell where it should go from there. have no warning lights on, but it should be connected to something i would think. i think the number on one of the wires is 202 the best i remember. looked at it last week and was going to ask this question.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe four wheel drive harness, the valve us usually under the shaker shoe on the left side, if a machine has the setup. My 50 walker does and the harness goes through the left side. Take a grinder to your guards to get a nice new sharp edge for the blades to pass by and it will cut great again, the wear plate positions and knife hold downs usually dont mean much. I check my hold down clearance, and wear plate clearance at the beginning of the season and at the end of the 4000+ acres of wheat I check each header again before milo and safflower, they cut good all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts