The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard an interesting thought about putting a shelbourne stripper header on a 9600 and wanted to get you all's thoughts on the subject.

The Theory:
On a 9600 with a stripper header you don't really need the straw walkers so if you run a stripper header on a 9600 you should be able to slow the walkers way down or even turn them off. This would be while cutting wheat of coarse. Is there any truth to this at all.

If this theory were true this would make a shelbourne header very appealing for a 9600 due to a lot of the maintenance coming from the walkers. so if they could be turned down to run slower or even disabled and not ran at all, that would cut about half of the maintenance or problem areas away from the combine. This could make the 9600 on of the better combines to run with a stripper header.

any thoughts on this would be awesome. I will be cutting at least one more wheat crop with my current 930 header but hopefully after that will be looking to change to either a draper or maybe a stripper header if this theory is at all correct.

Thanks, Cody

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Sorry

Interesting theory, but, I'm afraid, wrong.
While greatly reduced walker load there is still more than none.
Whether your walker problems would be reduced with reduced load I don't know but you'd still have to run them.
Sorry:(

Maybe someone here can help you with the walker issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't have walker issues, i just hear that the walkers do cause more issues than any other part of the combine. so far with issues, I have either been lucky or the issues aren't as bad as what i've heard

i'm just trying to do some research and look into what the best option for a header next year will be for me

Thanks for the reply Don

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with Don....and would worry about slowing them down....the speed of the shake and the stoke is what moves the grain down and straw up, if you slow it down, the grain might not go down and straw might not go out...but I guess you could try and see, bad time of year to find out it won't work though!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You will get less on the walkers and that by itself maybe enough to reduce the load. I wouldn't be to stressed as the 9600 has reputation as the most reliable machine ever . I think you should factor in your low capital cost as part of the formula . It will be restricted in capacity by its low harvest speed 14km/h. A 9650 would be the next step up . Poor mans stripper, try just taking the heads off. You still have to process the straw anyway as you would with a stripper but you don't have the upfront capital. That alone will make a large change in capacity.

IMO a gleaner R62 would be the ultimate machine for a stripper and not worth much secondhand . High harvest speed, fast unload , large grain tanks and great machine for taking heads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is a stripper header worth the money? is there really enough of a benefit to them for the price? I've heard the benefits are:
1. keep the ground shaded all summer
2. less residue behind the combine
3. faster harvest speeds
are there any more?
would I just be better off going with a 30-36' draper and just driving slower for the money?

We usually average around 30 bu wheat. if I go with the stripper header I would still have to keep my 930 to cut milo with. I have a milo head but I consider it more for emergencies if the milo falls due to the fact its only a 6 row 30 (can't afford a 12 row and gps doesn't drive straight enough for a 8 row header with our 12 row planter)

I am switching to 100% no till just looking for the best option for doing so

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also I have had great luck with my 9600 thus far and upgrading combines is not something i'm looking into at this time. not as concerned for the speed of harvest just want the best option for a no-till farm as this is going to be a new adventure for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ran a 9600 with a shelborne 28ft for 10 years then upgraded to a 9660 sts with a 32ft stripper.

In wheat the 9600 would keep up to the 9660 with the stripper, walker load does not change much as you end up going faster so material on the walkers only slightly less. but have to relay on walkers to do even more seperating as your number 1 issue with a shelborne on a 9600 will be separating capacity.

get rid of the air and put in an adjustable top sive, that will help a lot. also will need to pay more attention to your precleaner settings.

25 ft or 28 would be all you need, a 32 ft would be a bit big for that combine.

If you are in an area that grows 30 bu wheat, should gain a few bu by using a stripper as taller straw will help conserve moisture.

will strip 30 bu wheat at 6+ MPH easily will need a disc drill to seed after a stripper head. don't even attempt to seed with a tine machine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am a firm disbeliever in strippers in our part of the country. If the wheat was droughty and you use chemicals for weed control, strippers leave the straw too tall. It will become brittle from the chemicals and break off. Then your fighting blowing ground. On a good wet year this isn't a issue. But if your from the panhandle I know your dry.

My uncle is chiseling today b/c he used his stripper this year. The acres we didn't cover crop aren't blowing. We farm side by side, use the same wheat seed, buy the same chemical from the same guy. Had the same moisture within .20 of an inch. Cut the same average. So what's the difference?

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
5 state you need to cut the chisel plow up into 3' x 3' x 18" pieces and stick to notill and you're probs will end, it won't happen over night and use cover crops as they will be you're most important tool in breaking in your ground to a good no till program

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
^^^ agree. Having run a stripper header for over a decade I can attest to the gains to be had by leaving the straw, that and converting completely over to no-til. Not knowing what You run for varietyies, I hope you are using semi dwarf varieties to help you out with the straw quality. Here's some pictures comparing a 25' stripper header vs 30' platform. Pictures taken on the same day, fields were 3 miles apart. Local guy who has been no tilling for 25+ years swears up and down that stripper header straw adds 15 bushels to the subsequent corn crop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am a firm disbeliever in strippers in our part of the country. If the wheat was droughty and you use chemicals for weed control, strippers leave the straw too tall. It will become brittle from the chemicals and break off. Then your fighting blowing ground. On a good wet year this isn't a issue. But if your from the panhandle I know your dry.

My uncle is chiseling today b/c he used his stripper this year. The acres we didn't cover crop aren't blowing. We farm side by side, use the same wheat seed, buy the same chemical from the same guy. Had the same moisture within .20 of an inch. Cut the same average. So what's the difference?
I'm a little confused to how the land will blow behind a stripper header and not a regular header that leaves even less straw. I'm very interested to hear some thoughts behind that. we are very dry here and have sandy soil so the land blowing is my biggest concern.

also I do have a disc drill so I don't see drilling into the straw being a problem at all. has anybody that is using a stripper noticed that you can actually spray less because of the ground being shaded and weeds not growing as much? just another benefit I've heard of.

Thanks to all who have commented so far, this is great information

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also with a 28' stripper how will the combine handle the weight. is a 28' stripper heavier than a 30 930. I tried to pick up a 36' mcdon this summer and my combine wouldn't pick it up. I do know that is an easy fix tho. my combine is also RWA so I'm hoping this will help keep enough weight on the back end if that is even an issue

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm a little confused to how the land will blow behind a stripper header and not a regular header that leaves even less straw. I'm very interested to hear some thoughts behind that. we are very dry here and have sandy soil so the land blowing is my biggest concern.

also I do have a disc drill so I don't see drilling into the straw being a problem at all. has anybody that is using a stripper noticed that you can actually spray less because of the ground being shaded and weeds not growing as much? just another benefit I've heard of.

Thanks to all who have commented so far, this is great information
Because the straw is taller. Don't believe me drive up here and I will show you a 1000 acres that's blowing. It will only happen in droughty conditions. And only after you spray for weed control. The chemicals break down straw and the taller straw catches more wind. It will break it off flush with the ground leaving no cover. This is just something we have noticed here. I'm not saying everywhere is the same. Stripper heads have there place, just not in southwest kansas. Where there is 8-12 in of total moisture a year. As for less spraying I would think that theory works in irrigated ground but thin dry land I can't see it making a difference.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Stripper heads have there place, just not in southwest kansas. Where there is 8-12 in of total moisture a year.
I thought we were dry. Our driest in the last 5 years was 15" and we average 18-24 overall. I just have yet to see a stripped field become barren, even a year after harvest I still have quite a bit of straw covering the ground in most places.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because the straw is taller. Don't believe me drive up here and I will show you a 1000 acres that's blowing. It will only happen in droughty conditions.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, guess just more disappointed to hear this kind of news as I was hoping a stripper header could be the answer to our blowing problem. I do know that a nice little hail storm or pea size hail will flatten a stubble field after a stripper header and not do much behind a regular header. I bet what you are saying is pretty much the same thing.

might have to research a draper header next then. just want to get away from my 930 as it just doesn't feed in very good especially if the wheat is thin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.