The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running our cvs 32 on a new to us 9870 this year with a straw chopper. How are guys running their choppers with a stripper header? I was thinking low speed with the stationary knives out. Any info is appreciated.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
Yes. Otherwise your just wearing things out for no reason. Only use fast if you want to try and spread the chaff farther,(if Doesn't have powercast), even then make sure your dead knives are down.

You can slow your feed acc down too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok the thing has powercast too. So do guys run the thing in slow in wheat even when using a regular header? I never thought about running the feed accelerator in slow too.

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
When running an SR and stationery knifes pulled out I'm not sure the power use would be noticeable between fast and slow chopper rotor but the reduced straw flow certainly is.
If very little straw is being picked may as well run slow though.
Actually never thought of that and a ProChop Claas chopper also has a radial spreader which does not depend on chopper rotor speed for spread.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
We do, on every machine, JD and Lex, but in OZ our straw just breaks up easy and turns to dust so we don't have to chop. If you are not chopping when useing a cutterbar you can still leave it in low. You won't block it. It will handle everything the rear discharge beater will throw at it.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
We are running our cvs 32 on a new to us 9870
You might already know, but just remember you HAVE to engage your feederhouse before the separator on a JOHN DEERE when useing a stripper otherwise it will break the sheer bolt. Just another reason to have your feed acc and chopper on slow ( and rotor as slow as losses or sample will allow) as it helps reduces the load on the separator clutch and gear case upon startup.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might already know, but just remember you HAVE to engage your feederhouse before the separator on a JOHN DEERE when useing a stripper otherwise it will break the sheer bolt. Just another reason to have your feed acc and chopper on slow ( and rotor as slow as losses or sample will allow) as it helps reduces the load on the separator clutch and gear case upon startup.
I didn't know this. I ran it last year on our 9760 and never had a problem. However I'll watch this on the 9870. Will a slower feed accel be a problem in 90bu wheat? I've always run it fast in the past. Never thought about it I guess.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
Sorry I didn't realise you had run it on a previous JD. I don't know how you have come upon what sounds like a "soft start feeder house". Must have been some fair amount of slip in your clutch, feeder belt or stripper belt? But anyway doesn't matter, its gone now.

I always run the feed acc on slow even in 8 t/ha with 42'. It's just a personal preference thing. No scientific explanation available.:eek:
Only speed it up in Durum. Got some fantasy it might bash out a few white heads before the rotor. But I don't think it helps.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.