The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many people leave their shields off on their combines. I am talking in particular about the shield over the rethrasher and the shield over the hydraulic motors on the spreaders. there are also the shields on the left side that swing open, but those dont seem to collect much for chaff and are easy to access.

I have always kept them all on, but from what i see all they do is collect chaff and straw and pose nothing but a fire hazard. I know they are for safety but just curious how many keep them on vs off during harvest.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Looks to me like chaff builds up over the rethrasher gearbox regardless of whether the shield is installed or not. In fact I am not sure any of the shields cause any more chaff to build up than would happen without them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Most of the factory shields on our 23.s were removed when we bought the combines as we blow them off every day and didn't need to be fighting with shields every day . Also oil the chains after blowing them off so don't need to fight with shields again . Even took the two little doors off the back where the spreader gears are . Now we are selling one and had to remember where they go again .

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was going to try blocking the cavity above the rethrasher grearbox (and valve block on LHS) to see if chaff is running down from above. If a man could stop that and also the chaff above fuel tank and rotor, most of the blow down time would disappear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.