The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on putting up a shop in the near future and I'm trying to decide on the size and type of large doors to install. I know it has been discussed many times before and I thought I had my mind made up to go with a one-piece hydraulic door but now I'm second guessing my decision. Because I'm in Canada thermal efficiency is very high on my list of requirements and I thought they would be the best sealing door. I thought that definitely ruled out overhead doors but apparently not. the Overhead door company makes an 850 model that has 3" insulation for an R-value of 26 and they are available in widths up to 40'. Has anyone ever installed a very wide overhead door, and if so can you share your thoughts and experiences? I have also considered the dual overhead design with the removable center post but recently I have been informed that often issues with the center post arise as the building gets older and things shift slightly. One issue I am concerned about with both bifold and hydraulic doors is the ability to use them in windy conditions. Is that concern justified or is it a non-issue in anything but extreme gale force winds. I don't want to have a door that won't close on a heated shop in a - 30-celsius blizzard.

Door size is another thing I struggle with. Other than combine headers is there really any reason to go over 30' wide? Has anyone only put on a 26-30' door and really regretted not going wider? This is a shop, not machinery storage so I would only be driving the combine in to work on it. It wouldn't be a regular occurrence at the end of the day. The more I think about it I can't think of many instances that a larger door would really be useful and I suspect that maybe something like a 28' and a 14' overhead on the end wall might be better than one big one. If I do put in one large door I will have to put a small overhead on the side or in the other end just for vehicles and small equipment.

I didn't expect it, but at the moment I think the dual overhead door design is winning out by a small margin and in a perfect world, it would include the removable post concept.

Any and all advice and experiences will be appreciated.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I know nothing about these doors but see them advertising on facebook lots lately springwatermfg.com.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a fourty foot by twenty foot bifold door on our shop and love it can drive the combines in no wiggling or swearing and the shop has a 20 foot celling . I went to siast in Saskatoon in the AG mechanics course and they had the doors with the post in the centre which gave them fourty feet just seemed.like a.pain in.the ass. With our big door we just don't open it unless we need to in winter

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a fourty foot by twenty foot bifold door on our shop and love it can drive the combines in no wiggling or swearing and the shop has a 20 foot celling . I went to siast in Saskatoon in the AG mechanics course and they had the doors with the post in the centre which gave them fourty feet just seemed.like a.pain in.the ass. With our big door we just don't open it unless we need to in winter
How do you find it is for sealing up? I think it could be sealed up well except the hinge area might be a bit tricky. Then again I guess it is really no different than an overhead and at least there is only one joint to worry about. I really like the concept of the HP doors but because of the way they move, I don't know if they can be sealed up along the sides as well.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
For us anything over 25’ wide would be a waste because we can’t drive around with big headers on anyway. I’d spend the money on a bigger taller shop

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have a 40x20 bifold diamond door in our shop and granted it's very nice for bringing in a couple combines during harvest or the drill occasionally, for most winter days it's very impractical! If I had to make the decision again I would go with the two overheads and centre mullion option. I may be a bit paranoid but I'm always concerned about leaving the door open and having a storm knock out the power and not being able to close the bifold during a thunderstorm! Another concern I have is if the drive chain or sprocket was to ever fail the whole door would drop catastrophically!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Personally I don't like wide overhead doors, lots of weight and the wider you go the more difficult they are to track nicely, we have a 30 as the widest, it is always a pain. A bifold would be nice, because then you can put a man door in it too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh god that is actually something that's happened to us where it wouldn't close. Wast a power issue though was an install issue the guy didn't put the "eyes" or laser safety things in proper and sometimes it wouldn't shut! Fantastic for leaving all your belongings open to the public. Fortunately only took our guy a year to fix it😲 but yea major downside

·
Registered
647 Posts
We have dual overhead, its better for shop, a shop is not storage for combine unless you wanna harvest corn in the cold.

Bifold in winter sucks opening 40ft at once to drive a truck or fwa tractor out

·
Registered
123 Posts
No issue with closing bifolds in the wind, unless you have a door open on the other side of the shop in which the wind is blowing into. When that scenario arises, I close the windward door first, or just leave them open. Those things can weather a pretty good storm in the raised position. Granted, these are only on a cold storage shop. I had looked at hydraulic, but ultimately decided against them because they would scoop up snow after a blizzard, if there is any drifting at all around the door. Bottom of a bifold tucks in, so no issues opening it in a big snow....except that time I had a 6' drift and kinked a couple tin siding panels on the one side of the door because I neglected to check before opening. I have a 24' overhead, and I wouldn't put an overhead of any width on a shop again. Weight/tracking/maintenance, and loosing 18"-24" clearance on your cieling, thus needing to build your entire building 2' higher to get the clearance you want, or need.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
We're about to start building a large steel shop, from Prairie steel. We've got it engineered for a 40 foot door in the side wall, and the plan is to put in two insulated overhead doors with a movable post. We thought about bifolds but feel like the double overhead door fits our needs better. In the winter we'll most often only open one of the double doors (likely to get the snow plow in and out). A remote in the tractor will be nice.

Regular lubrication of the wheels and hinges will go a long ways to making an overhead door work properly over time. I have had a lot of problems with the openers themselves (burned out transformers, bad relays, failed microswithes), but rarely have problems with the doors and tracks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No issue with closing bifolds in the wind, unless you have a door open on the other side of the shop in which the wind is blowing into.

Diamond Doors now offers a column follower option that holds the bottom of the door to the door column as the door raises or lowers. My door does not have that option and you have to be careful if you have another door open and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My shop has a 32' wide by 19' tall door on the end.
The side of the shop has a 30' by 18' door.
Both doors are overhead doors by Wayne-Dalton. They are a 2 inch insulated door. They do make a 3" door as well.

Very happy with the doors, very well built and seal 100%.

Installed by Dennis Mobile Glass out of Taber. Would highly recommend them and the Wayne-Dalton door.

I like the size of the doors and have not needed to have a wider door. I have put a 35' swather in through the 32' door one time and that was the widest equipment I have needed to get in there. We changed oil in the combine yesterday and backed in with the 45' header still on. Header stayed outside. Don't really know whey you would need a 40' door for a shop, but each to their own.

The doors open and close very fast and there is no air leaks when the wind is blowing in the winter. Have remotes in every all the equipment and vehicles we park in side regularly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have a 36'x20' bifold door on the south side of our shop. Closing the door while windy doesn't seems to be a big issue, but opening the door in a strong wind often pops the breaker for the door. I love our bifold, wouldnt do without it. We also have a 20'x18' overhead door on the north end of the shop. We mostly use it in the winter to bring in vehicles and smaller equipment. When we do use the bifold in the winter, the shop will cool down a degree or 2, but VERY quickly warms back up.

Overhead door does seal better than the bifold, but that being said we find we dont lose a whole lot of heat out the bifold either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts