The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some quotes for seed $90 for 32000 seeds. You'd think with 3$ corn seed prices would be lower then last year. Having a hard time making a budget with projected price being around the 3.50 mark.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
We still have people up here wanting over $300 per 80k seeds. Our seed prices are gonna be in the $225 a bag range, same as you were quoted. I dont know what our final corn acres will end up being, i just know we are having some.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The first thing I would do is cut the seeding rate down to 28k. In our trials we can't get an economic return over that especially at 3.50 corn. In 2012 we had trials doing 160 at a final plant stand of 21k due to fertilizer burn. Then I would tell your seed dealer 200 a bag, take it or leave it. We usually grow 2000+ acres and only have 620 planned for next year. Everyone I know is cutting back.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Top list price I seen for seed to be planted last year ('14) was $408 US. Early pay discounts knocked it down a fair amount but still spendy. (Don't have the sheet handy so can't say what exact price paid was.) Sounds like seed cost in our area supposed to be 10-20% lower according to the co-op we got seed from last year but haven't ordered yet... That would put the list price for that same bag around $350 if my math is right before discounts. That's for an 80K bag.

Normal populations for our area is 30-37K, keep in mind its corn belt area so our maturity range 95-105 day here.

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Top list price I seen for seed to be planted last year ('14) was $408 US. Early pay discounts knocked it down a fair amount but still spendy. (Don't have the sheet handy so can't say what exact price paid was.) Sounds like seed cost in our area supposed to be 10-20% lower according to the co-op we got seed from last year but haven't ordered yet... That would put the list price for that same bag around $350 if my math is right before discounts. That's for an 80K bag.

Normal populations for our area is 30-37K, keep in mind its corn belt area so our maturity range 95-105 day here.
I think I can follow your math on most of this but I don't get your 408 figure at the start.:confused:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think I can follow your math on most of this but I don't get your 408 figure at the start.:confused:
Guess you could say the list price is the companies recommended retail price for a bag of corn. Varies a lot by seed company and some of the high list price ones may end up having the largest discounts if ordered early. Some other companies may start out over $50 lower but the discount % might be very low.

The 10-20% lower was given by a guy who stopped by the farm to make sure they would be putting fall applied NH3 on the right field, so take with a grain of salt... Or block of salt, whichever you may prefer. I figured they would have been the same price as last year so any price decline would be an added bonus.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
DeKalb $292 bag, Croplan $287 bag, Mycogen $225 bag. Don't even price Pioneer anymore, last year they offered me 32 bags of corn free told them I couldn't afford to plant it. Mycogen is trying to buy acres and market share in this area. Had good luck with it the last two years.

Seed price is probably going to remain high as we are in a manufactured shortage. Heavy seed corn area here, Pioneer cut production 60% at one plant last year and 100% at another. Hear the same for Monsanto and Syngenta. Mycogen seems to be holding firm on acres.

Price should be lower, but I guess they figure they can milk one more year out of us.

I hear a lot of the fringe areas of the corn belt are drastically cutting acres, and a lot of corn on corn acres are rolling to beans here.

All I know is that $7-8 corn was a heck of a lot more fun than $3-4!

·
Registered
880 Posts
it would suck growing corn in north/south dakota, canada is hauling corn even south. Usually they sell into our livestock market but their corn prices are probably 10% less than ours.
gotta say i'm liking this low value canadian dollar.
can't imagine what our corn prices would've been if our dollar was par.

Anyway back to the seed price, I got a good deal on seed this year, just gotta tell'm your number and tell'm don't phone back or bs me untill its there and be prepared to walk somewhere else. Then you will realise how much they have been stealing from you the years before.
I walked, got a good deal somewhere else.
dealer got close to the price. Still not good enough.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
There is some other factors involved but we are not growing any corn next year. Didn't make much money this year.
Nope didn't make a dime this year but... It has been extremely profitable since 2007. I don't know if the good times are gonna come back anytime soon but I sure don't want to miss the boat when they do. It's time to look hard at all the economics of every thing we grow and every decision we make. If prices stay like this it's gonna be a struggle for a while. I looked back at some invoices today and in 2012 I paid 183 for a bag of 7443 and corn was at $7. That's quite a bit less then I was able to get it for this year with $4 corn. Didn't make me too happy.

·
Registered
880 Posts
the price of the corn doesn't make much sense (looking at inputs) but the last 2 years our corn yields have been outstanding, I know its not a lot of money.
but I look at it this way our neighbor grew 5 quarters of wheat we had 3 and grew corn instead.
most of our wheat made number 1 and a little number 2. He was in the same boat with his first 3 quarters his last 2 quarters were number feed it got rained on too much.
now he yielded 70 bushels but only got paid 5 bucks (if he even got that).
now he got $350 per acre.
our corn yielded 138 dry. Probably average 4 bucks on it. 552.
Seed is $80,- more drying this year was $18,- an acre. our extra tillage is $15 an acre.
no fungicide for corn but I'll wash that against the extra fert on it.
The extra equipment needed for corn is only the corn head which is not much money.
the planter (for the beans) and dryer we used it in the wheat too so ya wont charge for owning it.
$439-$350= $89,- an acre over his wheat, sure if the neighbors wheat would've made the grade number 2 he would've sold it for $6.5 or $7 in that case he got a $1.50 more which is $105 an acre more and he would've been better off than us with the corn.
But over the years we've always liked to spread risk. Grow a bit of everything.

your opinion might be different but that's the way we look at it.
if you had to buy yourself in the the corn again with header needing a planter and dryer and a disc, wouldn't even think about it. but now that were all set up machinery is paid for I like growing it, might change my mind about it ones we harvest corn at -15.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.