The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used Shoup MFG. combine parts more specifically elevators and related augers and tubes. Ive need a replacement set this winter for my 9600 and am thinking about aftermarket mainly because of the savings. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i have used thier u.s. made chain and it was top notch. i didnt order any sprockets from them becuase i felt that oem/deere sprockets were the way to go-------boy was i wrong. put new sprockets on teh unloading auger drive and the feeder from deere and they had MADE IN CHINA stamped on them!!!! wished i had bought them from shoup now. i have bought roughly $5000 in deere no till drill parts and as far as i can tell they are just as good as deere's and a savings of 25-50%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bought a outer unloading tube for 1680 from them, couldn't be happier. Shoup has extra metal to help beef it up compared to the oem not to mention half price. go for it

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did buy a few corn head parts and they were good parts, but im wondering about the sheet metal components. Thanks for the replys guys. Im looking into a set of clean grain elevators and unloading tube with augers for my 9600 so Ill post later what they look like.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm pretty close to Abilene Machine, and have used thier parts on my old 9600. I would consider thier aftermarket parts also. I used Abilene Machine parts to replace the unloading tube and augers and the return elevator, as well as the loading tube and the loading auger about 4 times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lowen

We have used parts from Shoup, Sloan and Abilene Machine and have had good luck with all of them. Many of the parts we have bought were made by Lowen and it is my understanding tha A&I owns Lowen and Deere & Co. owns 51% of A&I and that most of the Lowen parts made for John Deere are now history. There is some remaining inventory around but if what I understand is correct, Deere bought out the competition and put the stops on making parts to fit Deere. That can't be good for us farmers. Parts prices for Deere stuff may get higher.

John

·
Registered
578 Posts
you now what really pisses me off is that all the deere dealers in my area are atleast 10-20% over list price on thier parts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try 40% here in California. Most combine parts have had a 80%s increase in cost since late 2004. How I know this is I have Deeres last EPC 2004 swappable parts program on my laptop. Suggested retail is in the program, makes me sick to as for the current price when I order.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
binderjockey shoup stated that shipping would be flat rate on one pallet for the items such you listed. I think they advertise free shipping in the surrounding states close to them but im a little out of the realm.
I actually got much better prices from abilene on the elevator tubes and the unloading components. Abilene makes elevators of stainless steel also where shoup does not. However Shoup has the stainless steel clean grain boot and abilene does not, however abilene makes a new concave front angle which I need desperatley and shoup does not. I recently ordered abilenes sprockets which are said to be induction hardened. Thay are much cheaper that shoups but I wont know until next august if they are as long lasting as Deere.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had bad aftermarket combine parts however friends. For example, DO NOT use aftermarket spindles, they will brake and you will be mad.
As far as if stainless is the best material, probably but it can also be jet coated with carbide to save wear but I have yet to try this process.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got in my Clean grain boot from shoup today. Looks well made but thinner than I had hoped. Probably the same gauge of stainless that deere uses but I was hoping for atleast 25% more weight especially on the bearing end where the grain is shoved in. Ill let you know about the hopper patch pannels when they get here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Quote:No they were JD composite fingers Im not sure if shoup has some tho.

I don't care who you buy the fingers from... get composite over steel... steel might last longer but if one breaks off and goes into the machine it's going to cost you more than the composite fingers would have to begin with.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alex Ive always ran steel and have broken hundreds and never had any problems with them going through the machine and hurting anything, We usually open the tailings and out they come within a pass or so after cleaning out the stone trap. However we still run conventionals, not sure what they might do to a rotor.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I've been told JD went back to steel fingers. The new ones are redesigned so when they break they stay inside the auger.

I agree the composite ones are a joke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just saw these notes, so a little late on the page. Just wanted to mention that Loewen continues to manufacture JD parts and ships them to A & I warehouses, - - just give them a call and you will find out the same.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you have to run composite fingers Lankota makes them for about 1/2 price of Deere. I recommend steel with the retainers that pull them into the auger when they break. Works every time and they last forever. Lankota also makes the black wear guides for steel fingers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts