The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying not to complain too much this year but this is getting ridiculous. Fields are pure mud, crops are turning yellow, can't spray, can't roll, can't seed. Crops were hanging in there not too bad considering the season but the last two two days they are really starting to suffer. Tomorrow is the only day in the forecast they aren't calling for rain. I know I'm not alone but it's still depressing.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I'm out making ruts right now with the sprayer. Not really much fun but then I hear of guys in the southern US getting 5 BPA on dry land and some going unharvested... So I will just be happy with what I have, it will probably be dry by the time harvest comes.;)

That being said I am pretty sure you are wetter than me.:(

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Up until father's day weekend we had a big crop like last year coming but now my canola average is in the low 20's with this forecast it will drop down to the 15 bu/ac range. Irreversable damage has been done, our early fields are starting to bolt and will only put 5 - 10 pods per plant.

Today we just finished putting up another bin that I won't need oh well maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
We got out with the sprayer today around noon. "Suppose" to be sunny today and tomorrow, then rain sometime Thursday. Will try to get some spraying caught up before the rain hits, but it's sure muddy out there. Not as bad as those around us though, so I guess we are lucky.....wet, but lucky....

Andrew

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello All
Up until last nights 1.65" I was figuring break even at best. Today, it is a losing proposition.

Barley field.

I spent the good part of last week making ruts with the tractor. Today, you can't even see where I made the ruts, the water in the ditch is higher & flowing in the fields. & the worst part of it all is that this land in not even 1 mile from Lake Winnipeg!!!! I have to wait until all the water from the west flows past here, before my water has any place to go!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Same thing with my corn field. That water is from the municipal ditch backing up onto my land. Same thing here, have to wait 3, 4, maybe 5 days before all the water from the west flows by here, before this water can flow back into the ditch & to the lake, which is about 3/4 of a mile away.:mad::mad::mad:

Now I have to worry about what my cattle are going to eat this winter & how I'm going to pay for it???:confused:

This flax field was looking the best out of all my fields, up until today:mad:

Another barley field.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I Hear Ya

we are the same here just south of RMNP. It has never dried up since the snow went. I was able to hold off on the seeding long enough to make not too bad of a job with very few ruts, even though I was spinning all the time. The crop came up and was looking awsome because we went almost a week without out rain. Now the canola looks like its holding on but barley is yellow and sick, oats are so-so. Barley hasnt done anything for close to two weeks now and probably won't for another week or so by the sounds of it. I'm trying to stay opptimistic but in reality I really don't see us getting any kind of crop. Kinda sickening when its the third week in June, we still have the heat on in the house, and we know we dont have enough frost free days for crops to ripen, unless it doesnt freeze until late October!

·
Registered
880 Posts
ya we are in the same boat, trying not to complain too too much we have some nice fields but majority is turning into crap again.
gotta go spray but just can't even walk in the field.
wish tile would work out here though our ditches are just not big enough to take any water.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I think our fields are wetter now than when we seeded. We were lucky enough to get all of our acres seeded but not without doing a few circles. The 620 duals on the sprayer are being put to use this year. I think there is going to be a lot of tillage this fall.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Spraying here again but making ruts. My land has some pretty good drainage done by my father and Grand Father starting back in the '70s. Wheat and canola are still quite wet but holding their own so far.

CR Toney,
Open up that tap some more. I know the water will find somewhere to go in your country. Here,...everything is full!!

J Hildebrand,
Here too. I managed to get 99% of my acres seeded, some guys are in the 75% to 85% seeded range, quite a few did get done. Lots of acres floated on. Some guys here never got the chance to get on at all !! If we get more rain, they may not even get green feed in, in decent time. Some are trying to spray, some are trying to pull out the sprayer. I will go give it **** again tomorrow morning and see just how deep I can go.

Fall tillage is a must on the heavier land around here. If you didn't get it worked last fall, you did not get across it this spring.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.