The Combine Forum banner

Sieve crank kit in soybeans

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
Struggling with threshed pod in the tailings this year. Very easy threshing beans around 11-14% but I am struggling with threshed pods.

It seems to be a VERY fine line between too much tailings and sieve loss. I get it set good and a slight rolling hill or slight changes in conditions through me out of whack.

I haven't struggled with this in beans before.

I have not installed my sieve crank kit on this machine I am wondering if this will give me a lite more help getting the pods up into the air and out the back of the machine.

Been running anywhere from 1050-1250 fan and mostly 10-12 top and 7-9 bottom. Sample looks really clean when I get it right but I always end up turning the fan down as I get sieve loss on a side hill and then fight it again.

It just seems like the 3d works amazing in corn and not so much so in beans.

#2 · (Edited)
I agree with the corn vs. bean 3d comparison...but I also tend to set the sensitivity above 60 for corn beans and wheat, and when it begins to spike on a hill in soybeans, it still isn't loosing much at all usually. The loss monitors sure seem sensitive and I wish they had a setting for grain size. Are you confident you actually have sieve loss when otherwise set how you want it?

I often double check sieve loss by running safely beside the combine where the chaff spreader slings the chaff and any dense items like grain. Soybeans feel much different than empty pods!

Maybe time for a TM6...?

#6 ·
I would get in some good beans on the flat and have someone run it at the speed you want. Run along side it maybe a little less than 10 ft away from back tire, with chaff spreader on high. Run in line with back panel of spreader. Run on the side the wind is blowing from. For safety, NEVER go behind straw chopper, windrow if you want. Have a rule that driver never backs up during this test. Holding your t-shirt out or a bucket or container can help catch the material. If you are loosing beans, the spreader will really throw them, so you really won't hardly get dirty. A two way or cell can communicate with driver different sieve and fan settings.

I bet your not losing what it shows.

#12 · (Edited)
What gets me is if Claas is doing so much testing they would have known a long time ago this sieve helped a lot in small grains and should have been putting it on machines for years instead of it sitting as a part that nobody new about. It seems like with this company they rely on farmers to solve the problems with the machines and after 10 years head office wakes up and says maybe we should be changing them at the factory. Apart from the automation in feeding and setting what have they done to change the feeding issues with the aps right to the rotor. We all may be dead before they get this thing redesigned so it is bullet proof for green stem soybeans and other ropey crops that like to wrap. It seems like Deere and other combine manufactures are a lot more agressive in getting things fixed and updated. They are out testing the various prototypes in the field. Where are all the prototype claas combines running. I would hassard to bet there are virtually none in North America because they think there design does not need improvement or they are to cheap to do the R&D. Why are they not beefing up the design in the week areas when they introduce new models.

#15 ·
I know exactly where they are doing testing in North America with new machines with design changes etc and it's about a twenty minute drive from my farm. I don't know what changes are all being looked at because it's very secretive but I do know the cooling system design changes, new handle, etc all ran there before it was ever released for production. I for one don't think they are a perfect combine by any means but I think they have made more advancements and improvements than any other company has in recent years. They do struggle in tall green stem soybeans but at least they don't flog wheat and canola out the back. Every combine has pros and cons.

#13 ·
Southern, I somewhat agree. I don't think they are too cheap to test. I suspect they do a lot of testing in a factory, on computers, etc, and most likely, not on our land mass for the major concept changes. I don't think we will see a Claas going around the country covered in a black sheet, working in some hidden valley.

I do think they don't educate the owners well enough. Deere and others have little cards, pamphlets, cheat sheets for tips, settings, ways to measure wear so you can buy their expensive parts, updates that fit your 10 year old machine found in there seasonal catalog. Claas has Cebis that tells you all you need to know, or you can call your dealer for more info.
Having just bashed CoA, they do seem like a very nice, smaller more personal company, and their few seasonal mailings are a nice touch, such as their Christmas ornaments!

I commend them for the improvements they make such as CP and CA, and for areas that don't need improvement (for example, compare the Lexion lateral tilt design to a red or green, especially the 2388 I came from, rear axles that don't break, seperating design that saves grain very well). The thing is, CP and CA means little to me when it wouldn't be effective for the crops I grow; corn, beans and wheat. More so CA than CP I guess. The impeller feeding is an issue that should have been fixed by now...rotor flow kit is not a definate fix, but helps some.

I would actually like to see a radical change...electric drives, no impeller, less areas for seed damage, to occur. I think the current design is great but favors the country it came from slightly more than my crops and conditions.

#14 ·
I somewhat disagree, that may be true if you grow soybeans and corn.........any other crops and deere and company could care less.

In fact deere has gone backwards on several fronts, there new return systems on the T series is a throw back from the 1960's and don't get me started on the idiotic cleaning system. On top of that the extra separating cylinder that I had high hopes for is mostly worthless.

The Deere rotors machines leak small seeds like an old international gas truck leaks oil and what it doesn't leak out it spits out the rotor if the conditions aren't perfect.

I'm sure that Claas is not perfect and only having been around one for awhile I guess I'll have more to say after a year with one in operation. I understand the frustration if your having problems because I have the same frustration with my Deere's.

When I first started looking at Claas and told them what crops I would be using it for right away they told me to make sure and use the TM6 sieve. So maybe they are learning more along the way. Sorry to hear that your having a hard time SK have you called the folks at Claas? I had heard that they were working on some directional thrashing elements on the main cylinder to start the division of crop before it hits the impeller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.