The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain how loss mon. works. While combining the thing shows lots of losses when a guy pushes the stick hard ,when slowdown the losses go down . My question is does the monitor takes in consideration the forward speed (more acre's / second)of the combine (and the amount of bu going through) or shows it just the actual counts/second.???
anyone. In NE Sask. we are waiting for the sun ,my farm s done for 40% ,thanks to the 8010...........

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a hard time imagining that it takes the amount of bushels going into the machine into consideration. Its just a aluminium tube that counts the "plings" when a grain hits it. So if you go faster the amount of "plings" pr/ second will be higher. You will have to go outside and look at the ground and see if the loss is acceptable or not

·
Registered
620 Posts
SN, the grain loss graph shows loss based on the grain actually hitting the sensor bar at the back of the sieves or in the discharge area of the rotor. It has nothing to do with ground speed. You need to do as Rubberduck says and get out of the cab and look at the ground behind the machine and compare what you see on the ground to what the monitor is telling you. There are three different graphs one for sieves one for rotor and one for combined.
On the 7010/8010 watch your fan setting, too high and you will blow grain out over the sensor bar and show no/little loss.
Also you may want to reduce your sieve loss sensitivity# to about 25 to 30, you will find it will give you a much better reading on the graph relative to what you see on the ground.
Do you have the AFS600 with the colour loss graphs? They are much easier to read than the older black and white graph on the 2006 and earlier models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have 3 monitors on your machine, sieve loss, rotor loss, and return volume. The sieve and rotor loss are not tied to ground speed, just based solely on the number of grains that hit the sensor plate. I would advise to drive at a set speed, look behind combine to determine acceptable losses, and adjust sensitivity to reflect the loss your willing to accept. This applies to the 7010 and 8010. The 2388/2588 system is different. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Quote:You have 3 monitors on your machine, sieve loss, rotor loss, and return volume. The sieve and rotor loss are not tied to ground speed, just based solely on the number of grains that hit the sensor plate.

Are you sure they're not indexed to ground speed?

Don

·
Registered
193 Posts
As canonuser stated, the 7010/8010 are time based where the sensors count the kernal hits every second. Distance or speed is not a factor. The 77/88 do use the mph input above 1 mph to factor the loss.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx guys , yes I use a 2 x 5 ft dropscreen but that did not match with what I see on the loss mon. suppose I hat sensitivity set to hi. Gonna do a little more testing .this all means that if you slow down the graph bar go's down but not necessarily your losses/acre . right????
Do you think all loss mon. work according same principle?
have a nice day all...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Lol this is just what I logged on to post about. Been running the 7010 today and wondered how the loss monitors worked. I set mine around 25-30 and it seems to be a pretty good reference for whats going on.

But how does the tailings monitor work? Is 100 tailings at full capacity? Mine has been mostly running around 10-20 but in some really good corn i saw it jump up in the 40s. My tailings alarm was set at 100 so I lowered it to 75... is this about right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts