The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for guys input on what variety of silage barley would work the best for me I'm in central sask. Not looking to inter crop just straight up barley. Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
We run a dairy, so are looking for high digestibility and starch content. We have had good luck with legacy and ranger in the last few years. Tried sundre before that but had more trouble with leaf disease which would lower overall digestibility too much.

There are other varieties like cowboy that will often straight up out yield these varieties on a per acre basis, but the high energy content per mouthful isn't quite there

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
We have been cutting legacy for a few years. Just cut what we need and harvest the rest. Have tried other silage barley variety but it’s easier to have less variety’s and splitting fields for silage. Legacy has yielded about the same as others but the window to cut it is a lot smaller. We cut it out selfs and only need about 120-130 acres a year. Last few years it has been 8-12 ton/acre.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ranger is the only barley we will grow for our dairy silage. It stands up really well under our irrigation and is not affected by leaf diseases as bad as other varieties we have tried. Did Sundre barley one year as well and we will never grow that crap again.

We had Ranger and Sundre side by side on a quarter and it was night and day difference. Sundre was flat as a pancake and had to cut it one way with a macdon m150. While the Ranger next to it was still standing great, it had a slight lean to it in some places though. Sundre was full of leaf disease while the Ranger still had perfectly green leaves with no sign of disease present. Then finally Sundre yielded bad compared to Ranger. Sundre grew a lot of straw but not a lot grain, when we were putting it in the silage bagger and trucking it around you could tell we had volume but no real tonnes.

Ranger yielded around 12 tonnes/acre and Sundre yielded about 8-9 tonnes/acre. We also combined a little of both and Ranger did about 120 bu/acre and Sundre did 70 bu/acre. Same fertility for both and seeded same day.

We also did try some Cowboy a few years back, cant really say anything bad about it, but can't really say anything good about either, nothing special about that made us want to keep growing it.

Also tried some Champion a few years back, good grain yield but had too many ergot problems with it and Ranger yielded just as well when we grew them together.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We grew some sundre last year under irrigation. Only watered once before it was cut. Big rainstorm did cause some lodging but we were very happy with the yield. 4.3 ton baled. Then watered again after cutting and came back 18” tall and made good fall feed. But the dry end of the field that couldn’t get water was not impressive. Got to about a foot tall. This stuff needs water

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Most guys around me grow Cowboy. Does well in dry conditions

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
..., perfect for cowboys.
Lol yep but stock and cattlemen use smooth awned barley...that's why I will never be a cowboy or own a ranch lol.

I use Bonanza for silage and greenfeed, the old six row malt, I'm probably one of the only guys left with any of it, grow some every few years for seed that gets combined but I never sell any.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Also tried some Champion a few years back, good grain yield but had too many ergot problems with it and Ranger yielded just as well when we grew them together."
Isn't champion rough awned? If rough awn is chopped do you still have a possible mouth/lump jaw issue?

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
When we use to grow silage barley we used Bonanza and Brier. I can not remember which is the newer variety of the two. We grew the older one first then switched to the newer variety. Some years we were up to 8-10 tonne of silage per acre. If you do not add manure back to the silage ground it can remove a lot of potash out of the soil causing problems in future if you do not put it back with potash fertilizer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone silage wrapped rough awn barley then run through bale processor to feed? Would a bale processor chop it enough to break up awns after silage process? I have a field that got hailed on a week befor combining last year, seeded green feed (oats and peas) into it and all the barley that missed burn down sprouted, excellent crop but don't have a chopper.

·
Registered
185 Posts
never a bale processor, but I have run it through a Penta vertical feed wagon.. That was hay maker variety.. I though it treated us well

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, RC just trying to lessen impact of rough awns in barley, might have to go that route. Guess I could combine it too.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have been using highline 7000 with awned green feed barley. If you run the bale through slowly it does knock the awns off/ break them pretty good. Enough that the cows don't seem to slobber more than usual. I don't know if silage would be better or worse though. If you have a short cut processor you should would be fine for sure.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's got to be 16 or 17 years ago now that I grew some Dolly and Bold barley. I hadn't intended to make feed out of it but it was so dry that year we wrapped it up at 45 to 50% moisture. Fed it to the calves in bale feeders that winter and never had any issues with the rough awns. They seemed to soften right up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts