The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can pull as long of trailer as you want. Weight is a different issue. If you get a single axle trailer you be looking at a gross of maybe 42,000lbs. 20,000 per no steer axle and 12,000 on the steers.
Personally I wouldn't bother with single axle anything no matter my situation. I've heard excuses from bin sites to tight to not hauling very far. I'd still go tandem. Or buy a big wagon to pull with the tractor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Assuming that you want to know what you can haul legally, any single axle hopper trailer of around 24' long (depending on the wheelbase of the tractor) would get you up to a total wheelbase of 32'. That's the length that will give you the maximum legal gross weight, in your state, on a total of 3 axles, according to your state's website.

You can use a longer trailer but, once you're at 32', you won't gain any more gross weight with only 3 axles.

If it was me, I'd look for a tandem tractor and tandem trailer. The cost won't be much different and you will be able to haul about 30% more.

Mark

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a timpte single axle on air ride, I like it a lot but single axles pull really hard & ride terrible if you overload them, 80 p.s.i max. on air springs. I pull it with a Pete 379 tandem. I had a jet on springs before, don't buy a steel trailer, many threads on here about that............

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Assuming that you want to know what you can haul legally, any single axle hopper trailer of around 24' long (depending on the wheelbase of the tractor) would get you up to a total wheelbase of 32'. That's the length that will give you the maximum legal gross weight, in your state, on a total of 3 axles, according to your state's website.

You can use a longer trailer but, once you're at 32', you won't gain any more gross weight with only 3 axles.

If it was me, I'd look for a tandem tractor and tandem trailer. The cost won't be much different and you will be able to haul about 30% more.

Mark
And tandem trailers can be had as short as 28' (Super-B pup) if the length really is an issue. Not sure what that does to your GVW vs length laws though.

Andrew

·
Registered
148 Posts
So we just got a 28' single ax trailer with a tandem axle truck to pull it. Planning on hauling around 600-650 bushels. Do you guys think it will weigh out legally?? :confused: The corn alone will probably weigh in the ball park of 34,000 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.