The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea why I am amused, angry, and scared every time we bury equipment. Both our machines have around 6000 hours on them, and are used to playing in the mud, though we prefer to keep out of the water.

Below is a log of one of our least productive mornings farming, but one of our better photo-op's. The combines actually got stuck the night before, and continued to settle in overnight (allowing panic to set in), 'till the heads and the belly pans were on the ground. We were able to unload the small amount of grain in each machine.I hope you all get a laugh, I know I did. Happy '07 harvest everyone! Please be safe

First the 2wd spins out (this ground is strange, looks the same wet or dry, esp. at night)

Next, the PRWD sinks in

Not pictured, stuck Case 4x4 (old school - style, I think a 2670)
Not Picture, stuck Deere 8100 --both stuck from attempts the evening prior to these pictures.

Next, eat crow and call the neighbors, recruit half the county's steel cable

We ended up tandem hitching the Case 4x4 (after un-sticking it), pulling at a bit of an angle to pop one side of a combine out first, letting the second follow.

Of course, we finished the field, and many more like it. It was white-knuckles driving. I found it easier to not touch the steering wheel (except on the headlands, which were firmer), but use the brakes to steer, 'cause I didn't want to jump the furrow left by the drive wheels -- a weird feeling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are "muck" soils, drained marshes. It is hit or miss whether these soils yield, I've picked 20 and 200, often in the same year (low cation exchange capacity, low moisture reserve). This was in the 180's (but headed down as it was lodged). Many are starting (but not us yet) to irrigate out of the ditches, unlocking the soils potential, our limit is heat units, though, not moisture. Most of our ground is high-ground, no need for track equipment, but its time for 76x50x32's for many reasons.

Funny you mention bagging it up, some grow sod -- not a crop for me. Another producer grew mint for years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts