The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where to ask this question so I thought I would try here. I work on a pretty large seed corn farm in Indiana and had the chance this summer to ride motorcycle through North Dakota on 94 into Montana then took 210 through Montana harvest was going pretty much full bore. My question is what the average size wheat field and the largest anyone has harvested?

·
Registered
96 Posts
In south dakota this year the biggest field i cut was 2500 acres of winter wheat but a friend cut fields much bigger the biggest was 13000 acres while in north dakota the biggest was around 650 in the area i worked with an average of about 280 to 300 as a rough guess

·
Registered
326 Posts
In south dakota this year the biggest field i cut was 2500 acres of winter wheat but a friend cut fields much bigger the biggest was 13000 acres while in north dakota the biggest was around 650 in the area i worked with an average of about 280 to 300 as a rough guess
I have a farm that is 34 acres and 4 fields lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would say it all depends on where you are in North Dakota. Where I am I would say the average field is 320 acres. The biggest field on our farm is 160. I did some custom harvesting this year and helped on a 500 acre field! Our smallest field is 1.5 acres right by the river!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depending on what you call a field, but I've cut in some fields in montana that could of been 5-7000 acres if there wasn't any summer fallow or personal farm roads. You don't have to lift you header in between these fields so i would call it one big field.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's many between there, one guy just between Pierre and Midland has many fields between 5 and 10 thousand
Dowling by any chance? I cut his 13000ac (virgin ground I was told) field that was only split by farm roads, all in I think he had 18 machines in that field this year and we was finished in little over a week

1 - 10 of 10 Posts