The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had skid shoes on my CHI 2162, bought a FD75 and it came without shoes. I always thought they helped going through ditches, etc. Am talking for beans. Dealer says I do not need them. What do you guys think? I actually wore out a couple of shoes on my 2162 so they had to be doing something. Anyway I did order a set.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I had skid shoes on my CHI 2162, bought a FD75 and it came without shoes. I always thought they helped going through ditches, etc. Am talking for beans. Dealer says I do not need them. What do you guys think? I actually wore out a couple of shoes on my 2162 so they had to be doing something. Anyway I did order a set.Thanks
Something bogus here.:confused:
Hmm, yes sure?
Not questioning you but I thought all FD75's came full cutter bar poly as well as skid shoes.

Just checked op manual, cutter bar poly maybe optional but skid shoes are not, 4 composite inner and poly covered metal on the ends standard.
Somebody forget to put them on, they are not shipped installed.

Dealer says you don't need them eh?
Find out how many hours HE will be running your combine.;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
The cutterbar poly is a must. The other "height adjustable poly" is not needed if shaving the ground. With those poly off it allows the drapers to clean out better if in mud and pocket gopher mounds, also snow or frost if ever cutting in those conditions.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would put all the poly you can under the header. Why on earth would cutterbar poly be an option?! I guess if you never used a flex draper for cutting on the ground....but then why would you have a flex draper? Weird.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think your dealer is talking about the rear skid shoes behind the cutter bar We took ours off of our 45ft FD70 last year and it actually shaves the ground better now, these were white poly and pinned on. I think there were like maybe 6 of them on a 45ft

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I think your dealer is talking about the rear skid shoes behind the cutter bar We took ours off of our 45ft FD70 last year and it actually shaves the ground better now, these were white poly and pinned on. I think there were like maybe 6 of them on a 45ft
It won't cut any lower than if there're up moved all the way up though unless the header is being run too flat.
Unless, as 325 mag points out you are either shaving or well off the ground
you don't need the rear shoes.

However, when I'm cutting well off the ground I place the shoes in the lowest (cutter bar highest off ground position) to further help protect the knife in really rolling ground.
While not on the ground 99.99% of the time but that 0.01% might save me from working on the knife.:)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In roll terrain the adjustable skid shoes help lift the header and any dirt or mud gets pushed under the header and falls off once the header lifts a little. Without them it pushes mud/dirt under the cutter bar and builds up and comes in over the knife and onto the canvas.

In short peas and cereal grains I set the adjustable skid shoes so that I can tilt my header ahead to skin the ground for flat stuff and roll it back for standing stuff. When rolled back the tips of the guards are higher so they don't pick as many rocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.