The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been really bad lately in corn for this. As soon as the grain tank on the combine fills above the window behind the seat in the cab and the auger in the bin has to start pushing hard to heap the crop up, the slip clutch goes insane and the whole clean grain elevator will plug as it says on the screen in the combine. You have to immediately shut off the separator or else it will keep going. It will usually clear itself out after I unload and start the separator but sometimes you have to open up the clean grain elevator door to unplug.... I don't think its just weak springs on the slip clutch due to a high volume crop like corn, because it did it in beans, wheat and barley. Just really annoying when you can only fill the grain tank half way every time and your wasting time in unloading. Its also got the big top and when we bought it, it would fill her all the way up, all 310 bushels. Just started giving issues this summer. If anyone had this issue or knows what's wrong I would appreciate your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That hopper topper is the problem its not a factory option. You probably don,t get full fan speed any more either. Start rebuilding variable fan clutch, check elevator sprockets and chain and flighting on clean grain elevator and check flighting on bubble up auger. It all wears a lot faster with a hopper topper specially with heavy wet grain.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'd double check those slip clutch springs, our 1460 was having problems in wet corn a few years back and found out one of the 3 coil springs was broke in half. Couldn't easily tell unless you looked at them very close either. Not sure if the clutch is similar (just heavier) but it was easy to change the spring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
our 2188 used to this in rice(high grain moisture) but never in wheat. If your slipclutch and springs are ok, check all the drive pulleys and belt. On the 2188 it is a hexagonal belt which drives the slip clutch. I found a slight groove in the drive pulleys which would start to slip as the bin filled putting more pressue on the drive. Replaced 3 pulleys I think ,end of problem

·
Registered
163 Posts
Incline auger is near end of life, has been a bigger part of the issue than anything . Don't grease the clutch,if you have , take it apart and clean. Shim the springs with a couple of washers and or put 2588 HD springs on and you will be able to use your roof bin again ...
;<)

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Take slip clutch apart, they don't have to slip many times before damage is done. The bolts are probably loose already, and the plate behind the springs is probably deformed, look it over, if you want it to work like new you will have to fix it as good as new, 2 washers behind the springs is good with new springs, like bubbaleroy said the incline auger is probly toast and check for missing paddles on clean grain chain, and last but not least make sure the bottom sieve is still wide open. If there is any return in wet corn you will have lots of piles of corn for the deer to eat

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think they intended the high speed sprocket for corn, much more grain volume to carry. I would think it should at least push the pile up a bit more than what you said it was if low speed is the only reason, especialy in beans or wheat which aren't as much grain volume just more straw.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put new springs on my 2188 along with 2 washers under each spring and then I bought a what I call a hydraulic bubble up auger from a farmer who builds them in Fairmount ND. Works awesome now with no plugging at all and I run mine on low speed. The site for the augers is burvee.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your clean grain elevator drive chain is stretched it ll let that teetor
Totter swivel with the 2 little sprockets on it swing up
And dig into some metal behind the
Elevator and stop the operation
Also there is a long spring loaded tighner u could tighten u a bit
Maybe paddle chain inside the shoot
Is stretched and jumping sprockets
Hanging up
Any way I ve been haveing the exact same problems
Drove me crazy
Ontario Canada

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.